2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2000 Dakota Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Sort Reviews by

best truck
By mydakota

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

my father was going to sell it but instead he gave it to me and i've had only minor problems with it, it has a great engine and sounds great with the flowmasters i had put in, love my truck and wouldn't trade it for the world...

Favorite Features

my fave features would have to be the engine and towing capacity!

Suggested Improvements

better interior look

Does the job, but not the best
By Mike

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Regular cab is cramped for larger drivers. If you're over 6' and/or 200lbs (I'm both) it's uncomfortable. Ride is nice on smoother roads, very stable at hi speed. Gets very harsh over poorly maintained roads. Handles tight for a truck, but stock braking is not good. I highly recommond upgraded pads/rotors. Fuel economy is so-so, only 1-2mpg better than a V8. V6's power is OK. Will tow anything you ask it to, and pulls hard off the line, but passing power on the highway is a bit weak. Clutch is heavy and "grabby", but strong. Seems I'm one of the few Dakota owners who didn't wind up with a lemon. Rotors warped at 27k, AC relay went at 35k, AC compressor went at 55k, and that's it. 60k trouble-free miles.

Favorite Features

Full size towing/hauling ability. Handles better on dry pavement than any other truck I've driven. Great torque from literally idle to about 2500rpm and decent mid-range. Nice shifter feel

Suggested Improvements

Full-size fuel economy. Cramped interior. Wet/snow handling is horrible. Atrocious ride on rough roads. Stock braking ability is scary-bad. Poor higher-rpm power. It begins "wheezing out" near 4000rpm.By 4500rpm, the party's over.

Does it all
By Eric

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am a very picky buyer- this was my 21st vehicle and my first new vehicle. Dodge was the only manufacturer that offered the combination I was looking for- a v8, stick, anti-slip transmission, great appeal, and low insurance cost. After 84000 miles, the truck hasn't lost any power, I get an honest 19 MPG average city/hwy, my insurance is $338 A YEAR, and it is quicker than the R/T, and most sports cars. I can pass other vehicles quickly while towing a 3500 lb. boat! The ride is smooth, parts are cheap ($125 for a complete DIY brake job), and it has the American resilience to rust.

Favorite Features

Power, style, dependability, utility, gas mileage, handling, low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Rotors warped after 25000 miles, replacements did the same. A little cramped for those over 6'.

Got what I asked for
By CBorg

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

During the first year there were several recalls issued which I took care of during regular maintence cycles at no extra charge, and I've had only had one major fault since that had to be addressed at my (partial) expense - the differential had something internal go bad which caused a vibration. My service contract had a $200 deductible which I had to pay. It's been very comfortable and useful to me with few exceptions.

Favorite Features

I asked for 3 things and got them: v8 4x4 5 speed manual

Suggested Improvements

The seats are a little too upright for long road trips in the regular cab. If I had it to do over again I'd get the extended cab for the reclining room.

Best Small Truck
By mettech

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Very pleased with the truck. Now looking to get a full size quad cab.

Favorite Features

Looks

Suggested Improvements

Fuel econ.. more power.. otherwise.. outstanding vehicle

Awesome truck!
By HateDodge

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I wonder why people never say anything bad about dodge dakota

Favorite Features

I like the power with the 2.5L, raced a Geo Metro and lost. I also love the handling and going sideways whenever it rains. It is very easy to lose control in this truck...Low resale value..

Suggested Improvements

Need rotors that wont fall apart in 25000 miles. Need more power..