Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Reliable, decent mileage
By Gregg

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT Plus 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought my Dakota in November last year. Little would I know just how much I would enjoy the truck this winter with near record snowfall. It has been very reliable. Not one non-maintenance item needed for replacement. Only items replaced are the tires and the downstream O2 sensor. Other then that, not one issue. Gets about 18 mpg in the city. Can average in the low twenties with straight highway driving. Would definitely recommend this truck to someone who needs a small truck.

Ride and handling. Interior comfort. great seats.

Better mileage would be nice, but this is a truck, not a Prius. A little more power would have been nice but it is adequate.

best truck
By mydakota

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

my father was going to sell it but instead he gave it to me and i've had only minor problems with it, it has a great engine and sounds great with the flowmasters i had put in, love my truck and wouldn't trade it for the world...

my fave features would have to be the engine and towing capacity!

better interior look

Best American vehicle I ever had
By dzerres

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport Plus 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck has had no mechanical issues for the 7 years I've owned it (it was recalled for ball joints which they replaced but were not worn). My only regret is not having bought the 4 door version and not bothered with the camper shell.

Durability including the styling which is still nice to look at.

Little more room in the standard cab.

Does the job, but not the best
By Mike

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Regular cab is cramped for larger drivers. If you're over 6' and/or 200lbs (I'm both) it's uncomfortable. Ride is nice on smoother roads, very stable at hi speed. Gets very harsh over poorly maintained roads. Handles tight for a truck, but stock braking is not good. I highly recommond upgraded pads/rotors. Fuel economy is so-so, only 1-2mpg better than a V8. V6's power is OK. Will tow anything you ask it to, and pulls hard off the line, but passing power on the highway is a bit weak. Clutch is heavy and "grabby", but strong. Seems I'm one of the few Dakota owners who didn't wind up with a lemon. Rotors warped at 27k, AC relay went at 35k, AC compressor went at 55k, and that's it. 60k trouble-free miles.

Full size towing/hauling ability. Handles better on dry pavement than any other truck I've driven. Great torque from literally idle to about 2500rpm and decent mid-range. Nice shifter feel

Full-size fuel economy. Cramped interior. Wet/snow handling is horrible. Atrocious ride on rough roads. Stock braking ability is scary-bad. Poor higher-rpm power. It begins "wheezing out" near 4000rpm.By 4500rpm, the party's over.

Great Homeowner's Truck
By RICK

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a great truck for the family who has a home to maintain. With 70k miles, I've replaced tires, front hubs and brakes, battery, and gas cap. Reliable and economical (19-22 avg. MPG). I have a bed liner and cover which have served well. The jump seats are great for young people or short trips as well as letting you lock up purchases. With the V-6 I've never had a power problem with heavy loads. Seats are comfortable for "long trips".

Seven year old truck that still looks pretty good, drives well and gets better-than-average mileage. Virtually no mechanical problems except that I had to replace hubs due to a bad wheel bearing.

Better quaity control on paint. I'm going to have to have the roof repainted soon as the primer is showing through.