2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Reliable, decent mileage
By Gregg on 06/12/08 19:05 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT Plus 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought my Dakota in November last year. Little would I know just how much I would enjoy the truck this winter with near record snowfall. It has been very reliable. Not one non-maintenance item needed for replacement. Only items replaced are the tires and the downstream O2 sensor. Other then that, not one issue. Gets about 18 mpg in the city. Can average in the low twenties with straight highway driving. Would definitely recommend this truck to someone who needs a small truck.

best truck
By mydakota on 03/19/08 23:36 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

my father was going to sell it but instead he gave it to me and i've had only minor problems with it, it has a great engine and sounds great with the flowmasters i had put in, love my truck and wouldn't trade it for the world...

Best American vehicle I ever had
By dzerres on 10/29/07 08:06 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport Plus 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck has had no mechanical issues for the 7 years I've owned it (it was recalled for ball joints which they replaced but were not worn). My only regret is not having bought the 4 door version and not bothered with the camper shell.

Does the job, but not the best
By Mike on 11/14/06 14:21 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Regular cab is cramped for larger drivers. If you're over 6' and/or 200lbs (I'm both) it's uncomfortable. Ride is nice on smoother roads, very stable at hi speed. Gets very harsh over poorly maintained roads. Handles tight for a truck, but stock braking is not good. I highly recommond upgraded pads/rotors. Fuel economy is so-so, only 1-2mpg better than a V8. V6's power is OK. Will tow anything you ask it to, and pulls hard off the line, but passing power on the highway is a bit weak. Clutch is heavy and "grabby", but strong. Seems I'm one of the few Dakota owners who didn't wind up with a lemon. Rotors warped at 27k, AC relay went at 35k, AC compressor went at 55k, and that's it. 60k trouble-free miles.

Great Homeowner's Truck
By RICK on 11/09/06 11:02 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a great truck for the family who has a home to maintain. With 70k miles, I've replaced tires, front hubs and brakes, battery, and gas cap. Reliable and economical (19-22 avg. MPG). I have a bed liner and cover which have served well. The jump seats are great for young people or short trips as well as letting you lock up purchases. With the V-6 I've never had a power problem with heavy loads. Seats are comfortable for "long trips".

My little Dakota R/T
By Paul Baldozier on 07/13/06 10:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab R/T Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a very fun little truck to have. It is a sport truck so the ride is a little stiff but that is to be expected from a performance model. This seems to be a well built truck, I haven't had a single problem with it in the little over a year that I have owned it. At this point and time the only thing that I wish was better about the truck would be better gas mileage at highway speeds, in town seems to be consistent and in my opinion not to bad for a large 5.9L V8. If Dodge would of went with 3.73 or 3.55 gears the motor would be at a much happier RPM for high way speeds.

Does it all
By Eric on 10/06/05 19:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am a very picky buyer- this was my 21st vehicle and my first new vehicle. Dodge was the only manufacturer that offered the combination I was looking for- a v8, stick, anti-slip transmission, great appeal, and low insurance cost. After 84000 miles, the truck hasn't lost any power, I get an honest 19 MPG average city/hwy, my insurance is $338 A YEAR, and it is quicker than the R/T, and most sports cars. I can pass other vehicles quickly while towing a 3500 lb. boat! The ride is smooth, parts are cheap ($125 for a complete DIY brake job), and it has the American resilience to rust.

Fast , Fun and Reliable
By louis carson on 04/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport Plus 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This trck was fun fast and reliable to drive. Is was one of the safest trucks I have ever driven.

Got what I asked for
By CBorg on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

During the first year there were several recalls issued which I took care of during regular maintence cycles at no extra charge, and I've had only had one major fault since that had to be addressed at my (partial) expense - the differential had something internal go bad which caused a vibration. My service contract had a $200 deductible which I had to pay. It's been very comfortable and useful to me with few exceptions.

Never Again
By frankli1 on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is probably the worse vehicle I've ever owned!!! The rotors have been replaced 3 times.The steering pump, belt tensioner,water pump,both O2 sensors,coil and an assortment of less serious parts have all been replaced, mostly at my expense. Dodge refused to warranty anything after 36000 miles. I will never again buy a Dodge product no matter how good looking.