2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Needs Improvements
By Barnell on 06/16/08 18:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9L on October 12th 2007. The first two to two and a half months it was ok. Then I started noticing that the power steering would go out from time to time. My oil pressure would drop for no reason. Last, I noticed in the morning, when I would first start to drive it, it would get stuck in second gear and I would have to coast until third kicked in. Gas Mileage on this truck is HORRENDOUS. I'm not sure if itís the quality of Dodge or if it was the owner before me, but I know I would probably not tell any one to buy this truck. But on the plus side, the body and style is awesome.

Best Truck Ever
By Nutt on 05/04/07 23:54 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a great truck. Nothing but normal tune up stuff done. Never had a problem from .3 miles to 159,000 miles. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Great Buy
By gwashy on 10/19/06 05:41 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this vehicle for the utility of a truck, but what I got was a vehicle that handles great and has been a great buy for the money. Outside of a recall on the ball joints, I have not had any issues at all. A highly reliable vehicle that handles/performs well and is sporty. The V6 engine has plenty of get up and go and proves to have plenty of torque with a bed full of anything. The interior is comfortable, but can feel a bit "cheap". The interior components tend to move around in the assembled condition and do not fit snugly. Also, the dash features feel hollow and do not give a robust feel. With the interior my only concern, I am quite satisfied and would buy it again anyday.

Best truck I've ever owned
By mistermopar on 10/11/05 09:05 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck new, traded in my Mustang for it. Turns out to have been a great decision. Not an ounce of trouble so far. Worst thing I've ever had happen is a ticking valve lifter, but that goes away in 20 seconds or so and then it just runs perfect. Runs on low octane without pinging at all, a problem I've had with almost every other brand I've owned. Love the V8, but it could have more HP/torque for its size, but incredibly smooth and more of an economy engine than the 360 was (I have one of those in a 1996 Ram). I don't really know what else I could want a truck to be than this one!

'00 Dodge Dakota
By Walter on 09/13/05 18:33 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

The Dakota with the 4.7 V8 has ample power to pull a two horse trailer, stock, but with a few minor modifications it puts close to 300 HP to the rear wheels. Be careful though on wet roads with it's light rear axle weight it will easily spin the tires.

00 Dodge Dak 3.9L ext cab 2wd
By Matt on 02/14/05 10:02 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Have owned this truck from 00 to present. This has to be the best vehicle I have ever purchased. I have had this truck in the garage once for the check engine light. The problem was a faulty gas cap. Other than routine maitenance...I have not had one problem! (knock on wood). Nice ride for a truck. I am thouroughly displeased with the 05 design. Looks like the new Mitsubishi Raider is going to be my future purchase...same truck with better warranty.

So far, an excellent truck
By RDT on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Have had the truck 2 years before it had to go to the shop with a minor problem with pollution control. No other repairs since purchased. Excellent power with the V8 even when towing. Good handling in the snow with 4WD. Excellent wear on the tires. Just about time for new front brakes but that is because of a lot of towing trailers without electric brakes. Would definitely buy another.

sollar yellow
By dak on 06/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

overall this is a good truck for the exeption of the auto trany that sleeps all the time when passing.

Nice Affortable Truck
By pcannon on 05/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

A real gem. Cute, functional, confortable, truck. Loved everything about the truck except an unrepairable wind noise leak around the driver side window seal. Also, with V8 the computer shut off fuel flow to engine without surprise at 97 mph. Understandably for safety, however operating paremeters should be disclosed in owners manual.

Great Truck!
By wickesser on 02/26/02 15:09 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Would by this truck again. Best review you can give.