Used 2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

The Best 15 year old truck you can buy
By asherr6@yahoo.com

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This review is specific to the 4.7l v-8 in the extended cab base truck. First off the engine is absolutely bulletproof. I bought it with 62k miles in 2005, now 10 years later i have 170k miles and it still runs/drives so smoothly. Aside from tires and oil changes the only parts i've had to replace are driver side tie rod end, water pump, number 7 fuel injector, and the two trans sensors that measure output speed (i think, they are side by side). all told most of labor i did my self but i've spent about 700.00 in the life of the truck. The only issue I have not looked into is the a/c, it has been out for about 3 years, not sure the cause but its not simply freon. This truck has taken 5 grown men from birmingham to ohio and illinois 4 times while pulling a large trailer. Its taken the same group numerous times to new orleans, tampa and south carolina. All I can say is it is still extremely reliable and if you have the opportunity to get a dakota with the 4.7, please do yourself a favor and jump on the opportunity. My wife is always asking when i'm going to buy a new truck and trade mine in (the paint is looking rough lol). I explain that I plan on my son who is 18 months, to drive it for is first car. I have all the confidence in the world, that with good maintenance and decent driving the truck will easily last another 15 years.

120K and runs like a top!
By Bob

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I drove this company owned truck at work for two years. When I left the job 2 years ago, I offered to buy the truck, which had about 110K on it at that time. Although I have owned the truck for only two years, I have driven it for four, since it had 60K on the odometer. The brake rotors were replaced at 60K, but other than that, this truck has never had any maintenance/reliability issues. None. Only issues: Mileage. 4.7L gets 17 hwy, 11 in town. Brakes are not impressive. I am sure that I have been very lucky, but this has been the most worry-free vehicle I have ever owned.

Interior room. Power! Comfort

Gas mileage hurts! If you do a lot of in-town driving, stay away from this otherwise great truck!

Excellent
By cterry

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had no problems with this
truck. Use it daily for a country
paper route of 79 miles per morning
and love the gas mileage. Also use it
for my small farm. Will tale 28 bales
of hay and 1,000 pounds of cattle feed
with no problems but have been told I
need to get heavier duty shock
absorbers for the cattle feed by my
mechanic. Handles very nicely.

The interior is very roomy. Not comfortable for an adult in the back but have a 12 tr old daughter who loves it back there.

Make seating more comfortable and improve on the leg room in the rear bench area. Also make manual side mirrors with inside adjuster standard equipment. I am also a Ford man usually but love this little truck.

Good Looks, Bad Brakes & Gas
By Pmcd

Had Chevy before and Dodge rides rough
compared to GM truck. Springs squeak
when making sharp turns at low speeds
and brakes seem to grab from time to
time. Looks great but rides luck a
dump truck.

Looks, interior roominess.

Gas milage is deporable and brakes seem to be a snafu on the 2000 model or at least mine. Ride is stiff.

Can't wait for end of lease
By MerleB

2000 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

A year to go on my lease and I can't
wait to get back into a car. This truck
combines poor gas mileage with mediocre
performance, a great combination. It is
truly gutless. Ride, handling and
braking are also poor. It desperately
needs a third door for rear seat access
which is truly awkward. It is also
helpless during Michigan winters
without snow tires.

Looks and build quality. No rattles or squeaks after two years.

More power for the V-6. Better gas mileage, ride, handling and braking. Third door.