2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Very reliable
By Albert Flagg on 10/03/05 05:36 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

I have had this truck for 4 years now.It is by far one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I bought it in 2001 when it only had 25,000 miles on it.I now have 92,000 miles on it and it still performs like a new truck. Everyone who rides it say it rides like a car.I have driven from georgia to Oklahoma several time without a glitch. Whenever I travel driving ,I drive my truck . I get complements all the time about how beautiful a truck it is. The only problems I have had is the air conditioner compressor went out and,the passenger door lock was humming when activated. Those problems were covered under the warranty and resolved. I think I can say I love my truck.

Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
By George Barnett on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

Like the looks of the vehicle but the poor quality qickly caught my attention. Tires were an issue from the test drive, dealer replaced 2 before I replaced the whole set, engine pulled at 18k and new seals installed, electrical problem, brake caliper and brakes completely replaced at 24K, dealer said was normal, dealer says control arms needed replacing about the same time. Rattles developed in the dash (which drove us crazy) never got them quited down) along with the bed which I later found was not fasten on straight. Plastic fastners came loose around windshield and on firewall. I understand why the dealership high pressured the extended warranty.

Should have gotten the V8
By JayB77 on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

If I had to do it over, I would buy this model truck only with the V8. The pickup on the highway is somewhat lacking in the V6, with only 2 adults riding. The fuel economy ratings are almost the same between the V6 and the V8, so it would have been worth it. Otherwise I have been extremely happy with it! It is fun to drive and looks fantastic with a good wash and wax! I am actually thinking about getting a cap to make it like an SUV rather then have to give it up for a trade.

Great Homeowner's Truck
By Homeowner-Commuter on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

Perfect for commuter/homeowner. Estended cab is "just right" for most trips and jobs. Long distance driving is a little rough after the first 8 or 9 hours. V-6 gives more than enough power and pretty good mileage, good looking, very reliable. If I ever have to let this one go, I'll buy another Dakota to replace it.

Excellent Dakota
By Threezs on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

I have had nothing but great experience with my Dakota. With the 4.7L V-8 and only the 2 wheel drive, it has become the family car. With 3 kids, we have taken it all over for vacation. I would definintly buy another.

Great Design, Poor Quality
By Bob443 on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

Love this truck to drive. Looks good handles good, cleans up nice. One big shortfall - the overall maintenance and repair level is high and unacceptable. After owing this vehicle for 44 months I am spending annually about $2000 in repairs while I have spent less than $500 TOTAL for a Honda van of about the same age and mileage. Oil leaks, differential leaks, leaking heater cores, bad air conditioning clutch, heated mirrors have failed etc.... Just too much, it shouldn't be this way!

a
By alec on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

Nicest car I have ever driven, and it is used. This had to be the prettiest truck made.

4.7 liter V8 QuadCab
By Jynxie on 03/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

Very comfy! A very stable truck to drive your kids around in.

nice try mopar
By rim on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

I liked it because it was a mid-size truck, however it drives like a full size and suck gas like a full size truck. The brake is below what I expected. The Good-year eagle rs is already showing signs of wear after 25k on them. The windshield wiper blade left the vehicle after two years. Even though it was almost never used (living in so. cal, no rain). Nice try dodge, how bout using some quality parts.

2000 4.7 Auto Quad Cab
By ahasher on 03/18/02 15:00 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

Love this truck. The handling and power are well above what I expected for a "mid"sized truck. The 4.7 V8 accelerates flawlessly and has power on demand on the interstate. At 47500+ miles she still has NO rattles/noises inside the cab, very low wind. NO excessive tire wear for the mileage(with my regular rotations). Problems encountered: engine rough idle. Crank Shaft Position Sensor failed. The electric aux fan relay stuck on, damaging the fuse box, dealer replaced with a loaner Durango the whole wait. My brakes chirp constantly even with cleaning. Summary: QC still performs as good as the day I drove her home.