Used 2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Very reliable
By Albert Flagg

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

I have had this truck for 4 years now.It is by far one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I bought it in 2001 when it only had 25,000 miles on it.I now have 92,000 miles on it and it still performs like a new truck. Everyone who rides it say it rides like a car.I have driven from georgia to Oklahoma several time without a glitch. Whenever I travel driving ,I drive my truck . I get complements all the time about how beautiful a truck it is. The only problems I have had is the air conditioner compressor went out and,the passenger door lock was humming when activated. Those problems were covered under the warranty and resolved. I think I can say I love my truck.

Favorite Features

Its exterior looks far surpass any other truck on the road. It is comfortable on long trips.

Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
By George Barnett

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

Like the looks of the vehicle but the poor quality qickly caught my attention. Tires were an issue from the test drive, dealer replaced 2 before I replaced the whole set, engine pulled at 18k and new seals installed, electrical problem, brake caliper and brakes completely replaced at 24K, dealer said was normal, dealer says control arms needed replacing about the same time. Rattles developed in the dash (which drove us crazy) never got them quited down) along with the bed which I later found was not fasten on straight. Plastic fastners came loose around windshield and on firewall. I understand why the dealership high pressured the extended warranty.

Favorite Features

Looks, engine ran good and sounded good, rode like a car, plenty of rear seat room and car like entry.

Suggested Improvements

There would have to be a lot of mechanical improvement before I would buy another. I was afraid the payments would outlast the longevity of the vehicle.

Should have gotten the V8
By JayB77

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

If I had to do it over, I would buy this model truck only with the V8. The pickup on the highway is somewhat lacking in the V6, with only 2 adults riding. The fuel economy ratings are almost the same between the V6 and the V8, so it would have been worth it. Otherwise I have been extremely happy with it! It is fun to drive and looks fantastic with a good wash and wax! I am actually thinking about getting a cap to make it like an SUV rather then have to give it up for a trade.

Favorite Features

Look, folding rear seats, versatility

Suggested Improvements

Make sliding rear window a power option in the Quad cab... I can't reach it while driving! Improve fuel economy!

Great Homeowner's Truck
By Homeowner-Commuter

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

Perfect for commuter/homeowner. Estended cab is "just right" for most trips and jobs. Long distance driving is a little rough after the first 8 or 9 hours. V-6 gives more than enough power and pretty good mileage, good looking, very reliable. If I ever have to let this one go, I'll buy another Dakota to replace it.

Favorite Features

Big enough for a "full size" person, and most jobs & tasks, while still being "parkable" in the subburbs.

Suggested Improvements

Bumpers are strictly "for show" and serve no real functioality. Have had to replace rear bumper twice because of minor parking-lot "bumps". Suggest a "real" back bumper.

Excellent Dakota
By Threezs

2000 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

I have had nothing but great experience with my Dakota. With the 4.7L V-8 and only the 2 wheel drive, it has become the family car. With 3 kids, we have taken it all over for vacation. I would definintly buy another.

Favorite Features

style