2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
best truck
By mydakota on 03/19/08 23:36 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

my father was going to sell it but instead he gave it to me and i've had only minor problems with it, it has a great engine and sounds great with the flowmasters i had put in, love my truck and wouldn't trade it for the world...

Does the job, but not the best
By Mike on 11/14/06 14:21 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Regular cab is cramped for larger drivers. If you're over 6' and/or 200lbs (I'm both) it's uncomfortable. Ride is nice on smoother roads, very stable at hi speed. Gets very harsh over poorly maintained roads. Handles tight for a truck, but stock braking is not good. I highly recommond upgraded pads/rotors. Fuel economy is so-so, only 1-2mpg better than a V8. V6's power is OK. Will tow anything you ask it to, and pulls hard off the line, but passing power on the highway is a bit weak. Clutch is heavy and "grabby", but strong. Seems I'm one of the few Dakota owners who didn't wind up with a lemon. Rotors warped at 27k, AC relay went at 35k, AC compressor went at 55k, and that's it. 60k trouble-free miles.

Does it all
By Eric on 10/06/05 19:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am a very picky buyer- this was my 21st vehicle and my first new vehicle. Dodge was the only manufacturer that offered the combination I was looking for- a v8, stick, anti-slip transmission, great appeal, and low insurance cost. After 84000 miles, the truck hasn't lost any power, I get an honest 19 MPG average city/hwy, my insurance is $338 A YEAR, and it is quicker than the R/T, and most sports cars. I can pass other vehicles quickly while towing a 3500 lb. boat! The ride is smooth, parts are cheap ($125 for a complete DIY brake job), and it has the American resilience to rust.

Got what I asked for
By CBorg on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

During the first year there were several recalls issued which I took care of during regular maintence cycles at no extra charge, and I've had only had one major fault since that had to be addressed at my (partial) expense - the differential had something internal go bad which caused a vibration. My service contract had a $200 deductible which I had to pay. It's been very comfortable and useful to me with few exceptions.

Best Small Truck
By mettech on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Very pleased with the truck. Now looking to get a full size quad cab.

Awesome truck!
By HateDodge on 07/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I wonder why people never say anything bad about dodge dakota