Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Needs Improvements
By Barnell

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9L on October 12th 2007. The first two to two and a half months it was ok. Then I started noticing that the power steering would go out from time to time. My oil pressure would drop for no reason. Last, I noticed in the morning, when I would first start to drive it, it would get stuck in second gear and I would have to coast until third kicked in. Gas Mileage on this truck is HORRENDOUS. I'm not sure if itís the quality of Dodge or if it was the owner before me, but I know I would probably not tell any one to buy this truck. But on the plus side, the body and style is awesome.

I like the interior and exterior style.

Need to improve on gas mileage and auto parts quality.

Best Truck Ever
By Nutt

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a great truck. Nothing but normal tune up stuff done. Never had a problem from .3 miles to 159,000 miles. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Everything about the truck

Don't change a thing

Great Buy
By gwashy

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this vehicle for the utility of a truck, but what I got was a vehicle that handles great and has been a great buy for the money. Outside of a recall on the ball joints, I have not had any issues at all. A highly reliable vehicle that handles/performs well and is sporty. The V6 engine has plenty of get up and go and proves to have plenty of torque with a bed full of anything. The interior is comfortable, but can feel a bit "cheap". The interior components tend to move around in the assembled condition and do not fit snugly. Also, the dash features feel hollow and do not give a robust feel. With the interior my only concern, I am quite satisfied and would buy it again anyday.

Came with a handling package that gave a 3.55 gear ratio and wide, larger tires. Larger Bed for a smaller truck

More robust feel to the interior.

Best truck I've ever owned
By mistermopar

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck new, traded in my Mustang for it. Turns out to have been a great decision. Not an ounce of trouble so far. Worst thing I've ever had happen is a ticking valve lifter, but that goes away in 20 seconds or so and then it just runs perfect. Runs on low octane without pinging at all, a problem I've had with almost every other brand I've owned. Love the V8, but it could have more HP/torque for its size, but incredibly smooth and more of an economy engine than the 360 was (I have one of those in a 1996 Ram). I don't really know what else I could want a truck to be than this one!

The color, Amber Fire (burnt orange). Don't know why they stopped this color. Now everybody but Dodge has a similar color! I get comments all the time from people who love the color!

Tranny downshifts smooth as glass, upshift from 1-2 is SLIGHTLY rough, but not that bad. That's it, I love this truck, had it for almost 5 years so far!

'00 Dodge Dakota
By Walter

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

The Dakota with the 4.7 V8 has ample power to pull a two horse trailer, stock, but with a few minor modifications it puts close to 300 HP to the rear wheels. Be careful though on wet roads with it's light rear axle weight it will easily spin the tires.

Easy to manuver in traffic, with plenty of passing power.

Could have had better stock rims