Used 2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

120K and runs like a top!
By Bob

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I drove this company owned truck at work for two years. When I left the job 2 years ago, I offered to buy the truck, which had about 110K on it at that time. Although I have owned the truck for only two years, I have driven it for four, since it had 60K on the odometer. The brake rotors were replaced at 60K, but other than that, this truck has never had any maintenance/reliability issues. None. Only issues: Mileage. 4.7L gets 17 hwy, 11 in town. Brakes are not impressive. I am sure that I have been very lucky, but this has been the most worry-free vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Interior room. Power! Comfort

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage hurts! If you do a lot of in-town driving, stay away from this otherwise great truck!

Excellent
By cterry

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had no problems with this truck. Use it daily for a country paper route of 79 miles per morning and love the gas mileage. Also use it for my small farm. Will tale 28 bales of hay and 1,000 pounds of cattle feed with no problems but have been told I need to get heavier duty shock absorbers for the cattle feed by my mechanic. Handles very nicely.

Favorite Features

The interior is very roomy. Not comfortable for an adult in the back but have a 12 tr old daughter who loves it back there.

Suggested Improvements

Make seating more comfortable and improve on the leg room in the rear bench area. Also make manual side mirrors with inside adjuster standard equipment. I am also a Ford man usually but love this little truck.

Good Looks, Bad Brakes & Gas
By Pmcd

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Had Chevy before and Dodge rides rough compared to GM truck. Springs squeak when making sharp turns at low speeds and brakes seem to grab from time to time. Looks great but rides luck a dump truck.

Favorite Features

Looks, interior roominess.

Suggested Improvements

Gas milage is deporable and brakes seem to be a snafu on the 2000 model or at least mine. Ride is stiff.

Can't wait for end of lease
By MerleB

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

A year to go on my lease and I can't wait to get back into a car. This truck combines poor gas mileage with mediocre performance, a great combination. It is truly gutless. Ride, handling and braking are also poor. It desperately needs a third door for rear seat access which is truly awkward. It is also helpless during Michigan winters without snow tires.

Favorite Features

Looks and build quality. No rattles or squeaks after two years.

Suggested Improvements

More power for the V-6. Better gas mileage, ride, handling and braking. Third door.