2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
No lack of power
By fla cruser on 07/28/08 18:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Good looking truck, handles very well, its quick, no major problems fuel mileage could be better

New little red truck
By dodgemanchris on 03/04/07 21:52 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

It is a good truck. Looks great on the road. Handling is unreal, sometimes I forget I am in a truck. Also have not had a lot of problems out of it. Tire size is a little odd, so prices are kind of high. But when it handles that good, it evens out. Overall,it is a good truck that you can do light work with in the day, and then a night take your girl out on the town. Trust me,she will ask to drive.

More bark than bite
By ruffles on 11/05/04 22:26 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this R/T on Ebay almost one year ago. Replaced the idler pulley,v-belt, and water pump. Overall, the truck turns heads everywhere I go. Sounds excellent through factory single exhaust (not sure what genius put single exhaust on a performance truck). The truck is fun to drive. Fuel economy is about 14 in the city and 17 on the highway. Truck has a 5.9 v-8 and only produces 250hp. Most hondas with a couple of mods can beat me on any given day. Looks mean, sounds mean, feels mean. Stock with k&n filter runs high 14's in quarter mile.

Dodge Dakota R/T
By DrewD on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Dodge far and away builds the poorest vehicle I have ever owned. This truck not only depreciates the fastest of any American vehicle but the milage rating was overstated by almost twice what it got. Also when the dealership was questioned about the poor milage and the engine miss I was told "yes I can hear it but Dodge won't authorize us to fix it" For having as large of an engine as it did it was not fast. For a 2000 the idea that Dodge uses the same undercarrige as a 1970 car pretty much tell the story on the funding they put into research and development. Never will I look at a Dodge\Chrysler vehicle again.

good mix of sports car & truck
By Rich B. on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Excellent truck has the handling, acceleration & still can tow a trailer or haul lumber. 5.9 is just brute torque. No high tech here, just good ol'pushrods. Handles great. Rear axle gets a little upset over stutter bumps. ABS works well but traction control would be a welcome feature when you aren't trying to toss the ass end out while turning. Very comfortable on long rides & good interior ergonomics...

Don't buy one of these(Unless it's mine)
By GasHog on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

The best fuel economy I ever saw was 11mpg on the highway on a several state road trip. The EPA claims 17mpg on the highway and a few less for the city. I could expect 7 to _maybe_ 8mpg on an average tank of mixed city/highway driving. This truck is supposed to be performance oriented. It is not very quick considering it has a 360cid engine and gets such lousy fuel economy. If you are in the market for a high performance truck, spend the extra money and buy a Ford Lightning (I don't even like Ford and am suggesting it over my Dodge).

R/T = Real Fast
By kwood69 on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had been waiting for a peformance trunk to come out for a few years, then when Dodge introduced the Dakota RT and it was featured on MotorTrend's TV show I just fell for it. After driving one I finally broke down and bought one in 2000. Since then I've modified the engine and the interior but this truck has been great since day one. I drag race in it, road race in it, and even place it in auto shows.

Best PICK UP around!
By Bobby Mac on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

This vehicle is the absolute most funnest vehicle to drive. It is fast, looks great and performs well in any situation. The insurance is relatively cheap and I don't even mind paying $45- $50 for a tank of gas (Canadian Dollars).