Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2000 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Great for a cheaper-end product of dodge
By Devyn

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Have been in a Dodge truck family my whole life (Rams, Durangos, and my own Dakota) and i couldn't be more pleased with a 16 year old truck. Drive a 2000 dakota "sport edition" 3.9 v6. Religious fluid changes, brakes, tire rotations, all done myself. Yes, rust is an issue, but thats the only big issue I've run into. No major engine or even transmission issues (which is unusual for an old dodge truck) have occurred yet, besides an oil pan gasket. Cold air intake and bigger, meatier tires than stock and my baby overcomes anything i throw its way. Looking to replace its status as my daily with a charger r/t, but even after that my Dakota will not be gotten rid of until every part has seized. If i could go back, i think i'd buy it again.

The Best 15 year old truck you can buy
By asherr6@yahoo.com

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This review is specific to the 4.7l v-8 in the extended cab base truck. First off the engine is absolutely bulletproof. I bought it with 62k miles in 2005, now 10 years later i have 170k miles and it still runs/drives so smoothly. Aside from tires and oil changes the only parts i've had to replace are driver side tie rod end, water pump, number 7 fuel injector, and the two trans sensors that measure output speed (i think, they are side by side). all told most of labor i did my self but i've spent about 700.00 in the life of the truck. The only issue I have not looked into is the a/c, it has been out for about 3 years, not sure the cause but its not simply freon. This truck has taken 5 grown men from birmingham to ohio and illinois 4 times while pulling a large trailer. Its taken the same group numerous times to new orleans, tampa and south carolina. All I can say is it is still extremely reliable and if you have the opportunity to get a dakota with the 4.7, please do yourself a favor and jump on the opportunity. My wife is always asking when i'm going to buy a new truck and trade mine in (the paint is looking rough lol). I explain that I plan on my son who is 18 months, to drive it for is first car. I have all the confidence in the world, that with good maintenance and decent driving the truck will easily last another 15 years.

Useful and Reliable
By mrish

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Plus 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my 00' Dakota SLT 4.7 v8 4x4 brand new in 2000.
It currently has 195k miles on it and runs great.
Doesn't burn oil, doesn't smoke, and doesn't even have an oil leak.
The only problems I 've had is 2x freeze plugs, 2x speed sensors, and one oxygen sensor.
I've pulled a Kubota 4wd tractor, a Massey Ferguson, and pulled a fullsize truck on a trailer 300 miles.
The 4WD has worked great and the limited slip rear diff. has got me out places that other 4x4's couldn't.
I've taken care of it mechanically and used semi-synthetic oil every 5k miles.
I would buy this truck all over again with question.

4.7 v8 towing and performance, handling, and reliability. I get 70-80k miles on a set of tires.

Seating needs improvement, sound systems could use better speakers.

Excellent Truck
By Eric

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

Bought my Dakota new in Nov. '00, 10 yrs later and it's still going strong. Absolutely the best truck I've ever owned. Been cross country 4 times and it's comfortable for the long trip. My only complaint is the mileage is lower then I wold like, but then again, I bought the big V8 for the power and reliability. It's been both, 114K miles, engines never been torn apart, religious maintanence, it's been driven hard and still looks, runs, drives like new. Recently passed Colo. emissions at near perfect levels, with a superchips tuner active at the time.

everything

It's a good truck
By rbc1965

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck new from dealer with 1.5 miles on it for $19,000.00 Cash. My Dodge is dependable. I crashed it pretty bad once and had the dealer fix it ($6000 for repairs). After 10 years it still drives like a new truck & has NEVER stuck me anywhere. I have owned A 75 Ford Courier, A 90 Mazda B2200 and this Dodge. The 1975 Ford was the best. The 2000 Dodge is second best. The 1990 Mazda was the worst. I have kept up the tune up's and oil changes and have never had a problem with it yet. The interior is a bit cheap with plastic parts(I broke the plastic Parking Brake Release Handle & Cup holder). Other than that I am very happy with the truck.

Extra Long Bed, Extra room behind the front seat.

Reposition the tie down points in the bed. Add tie down points in the bed. Invent a locking system for the tailgate. The tailgate can be stolen too easy.