Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Useful and Reliable
By mrish

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Plus 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my 00' Dakota SLT 4.7 v8 4x4 brand new in 2000. It currently has 195k miles on it and runs great. Doesn't burn oil, doesn't smoke, and doesn't even have an oil leak. The only problems I 've had is 2x freeze plugs, 2x speed sensors, and one oxygen sensor. I've pulled a Kubota 4wd tractor, a Massey Ferguson, and pulled a fullsize truck on a trailer 300 miles. The 4WD has worked great and the limited slip rear diff. has got me out places that other 4x4's couldn't. I've taken care of it mechanically and used semi-synthetic oil every 5k miles. I would buy this truck all over again with question.

Favorite Features

4.7 v8 towing and performance, handling, and reliability. I get 70-80k miles on a set of tires.

Suggested Improvements

Seating needs improvement, sound systems could use better speakers.

Excellent Truck
By Eric

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

Bought my Dakota new in Nov. '00, 10 yrs later and it's still going strong. Absolutely the best truck I've ever owned. Been cross country 4 times and it's comfortable for the long trip. My only complaint is the mileage is lower then I wold like, but then again, I bought the big V8 for the power and reliability. It's been both, 114K miles, engines never been torn apart, religious maintanence, it's been driven hard and still looks, runs, drives like new. Recently passed Colo. emissions at near perfect levels, with a superchips tuner active at the time.

Favorite Features

everything

It's a good truck
By rbc1965

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck new from dealer with 1.5 miles on it for $19,000.00 Cash. My Dodge is dependable. I crashed it pretty bad once and had the dealer fix it ($6000 for repairs). After 10 years it still drives like a new truck & has NEVER stuck me anywhere. I have owned A 75 Ford Courier, A 90 Mazda B2200 and this Dodge. The 1975 Ford was the best. The 2000 Dodge is second best. The 1990 Mazda was the worst. I have kept up the tune up's and oil changes and have never had a problem with it yet. The interior is a bit cheap with plastic parts(I broke the plastic Parking Brake Release Handle & Cup holder). Other than that I am very happy with the truck.

Favorite Features

Extra Long Bed, Extra room behind the front seat.

Suggested Improvements

Reposition the tie down points in the bed. Add tie down points in the bed. Invent a locking system for the tailgate. The tailgate can be stolen too easy.

BUY A DODGE DAKOTA
By zwzach

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck because I was looking at trucks in its class like the Toyota Tacoma, Ford Ranger and Nissan Frontier. But nothing compares to this truck, my truck has the 4.7 v8 all I have to say is I am very impressed with the power and the styling of this truck it is a sweet ride. I did buy a cold air intake and a chip for this truck for $630.00 and i think it will unleash the real Dakota in side and should help with the fuel economy factor so anyways buy a dodge Dakota I really think you will love it just buy with a 4.7 or 5.9 i think you will enjoy it a bit more.

Favorite Features

styling, v8, 4x4, what the heck everything.

Suggested Improvements

cant think of anything

BEST TRUCK YOU CAN HAVE
By Woods10

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

I'm 17 and My dakota is amazing!! I love it!! It has the 4.7 V8 and NO lack of power thats for sure! i have 3in of lift with 33x12.50 mud kings and people are always amazed in how much mud this truck will go through!! Only thing i want to change is the front seats. i want to make it a six seater with the flip up console. i just don't know where to find it.

Favorite Features

after the exhaust system was put on, the sound is my favorite and how well it handles and how powerful it really is. People are always surprised how much power it really has

Suggested Improvements

none, the only thing i wish i could change is the front seats like i said..i want the flip up console that turns in to a sixth seat. other than that its an amazing truck