2000 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Useful and Reliable
By mrish on 03/21/11 18:28 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Plus 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my 00' Dakota SLT 4.7 v8 4x4 brand new in 2000. It currently has 195k miles on it and runs great. Doesn't burn oil, doesn't smoke, and doesn't even have an oil leak. The only problems I 've had is 2x freeze plugs, 2x speed sensors, and one oxygen sensor. I've pulled a Kubota 4wd tractor, a Massey Ferguson, and pulled a fullsize truck on a trailer 300 miles. The 4WD has worked great and the limited slip rear diff. has got me out places that other 4x4's couldn't. I've taken care of it mechanically and used semi-synthetic oil every 5k miles. I would buy this truck all over again with question.

Excellent Truck
By Eric on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

Bought my Dakota new in Nov. '00, 10 yrs later and it's still going strong. Absolutely the best truck I've ever owned. Been cross country 4 times and it's comfortable for the long trip. My only complaint is the mileage is lower then I wold like, but then again, I bought the big V8 for the power and reliability. It's been both, 114K miles, engines never been torn apart, religious maintanence, it's been driven hard and still looks, runs, drives like new. Recently passed Colo. emissions at near perfect levels, with a superchips tuner active at the time.

It's a good truck
By rbc1965 on 07/27/10 14:55 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck new from dealer with 1.5 miles on it for $19,000.00 Cash. My Dodge is dependable. I crashed it pretty bad once and had the dealer fix it ($6000 for repairs). After 10 years it still drives like a new truck & has NEVER stuck me anywhere. I have owned A 75 Ford Courier, A 90 Mazda B2200 and this Dodge. The 1975 Ford was the best. The 2000 Dodge is second best. The 1990 Mazda was the worst. I have kept up the tune up's and oil changes and have never had a problem with it yet. The interior is a bit cheap with plastic parts(I broke the plastic Parking Brake Release Handle & Cup holder). Other than that I am very happy with the truck.

BUY A DODGE DAKOTA
By zwzach on 02/02/10 22:33 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck because I was looking at trucks in its class like the Toyota Tacoma, Ford Ranger and Nissan Frontier. But nothing compares to this truck, my truck has the 4.7 v8 all I have to say is I am very impressed with the power and the styling of this truck it is a sweet ride. I did buy a cold air intake and a chip for this truck for $630.00 and i think it will unleash the real Dakota in side and should help with the fuel economy factor so anyways buy a dodge Dakota I really think you will love it just buy with a 4.7 or 5.9 i think you will enjoy it a bit more.

BEST TRUCK YOU CAN HAVE
By Woods10 on 12/12/09 11:22 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

I'm 17 and My dakota is amazing!! I love it!! It has the 4.7 V8 and NO lack of power thats for sure! i have 3in of lift with 33x12.50 mud kings and people are always amazed in how much mud this truck will go through!! Only thing i want to change is the front seats. i want to make it a six seater with the flip up console. i just don't know where to find it.

Dakota Quad Cab 4.7L
By Mike7642 on 11/03/09 19:06 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 4dr Crew Cab SB

I first bought this truck out of practcallity. Room plus towing. After a few simple mods I found myself with one powerful machine. Its hard to keep the foot off the gas with such a sleek truck with power to spare. I have since bought a 2009 Laramie and while totally impressed with it, I miss my Dakota.

123k and runs like new
By Tim on 07/31/08 15:11 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota SLT Plus 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is the best truck I've ever had. It handles, rides, brakes, and looks great. I had only had Chevy's before and hated the Anti-lock brakes, but love the Dakota's brakes.This truck rides at least 10 times better than the Chevy and has a lot more power than the Chevy did, and I went from a 4.3 Chevy to a 3.9 Dakota. The only thing I don't like is the fuel economy, but not so bad I would go back to Chevy. Don't know if I'll ever buy another Chevy.

Good Truck
By sean on 07/31/08 02:12 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 4dr Crew Cab SB

This has been a really great truck to have. I get about 25 MPG on the highway. I would advise not driving in the city as it chugs gas in crowded SoCal City roads. Ive hauled 1 trailer and didn't even notice any difficulty with the V-6. I run an aftermarket exhaust and people think I have a V-8 and want to race.

No lack of power
By fla cruser on 07/28/08 18:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Good looking truck, handles very well, its quick, no major problems fuel mileage could be better

Needs Improvements
By Barnell on 06/16/08 18:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9L on October 12th 2007. The first two to two and a half months it was ok. Then I started noticing that the power steering would go out from time to time. My oil pressure would drop for no reason. Last, I noticed in the morning, when I would first start to drive it, it would get stuck in second gear and I would have to coast until third kicked in. Gas Mileage on this truck is HORRENDOUS. I'm not sure if itís the quality of Dodge or if it was the owner before me, but I know I would probably not tell any one to buy this truck. But on the plus side, the body and style is awesome.