1999 Dodge Dakota Consumer Review: Great mid-size pickup, virtual

1999 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Review

Great mid-size pickup, virtually unique
By lphilpot on

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

At 117+K miles, it's still completely trustworthy (17 city, 20+ highway with a 3.9L V6). I've done the usual scheduled maintenance and replaced a few things along the way (water pump, power steering hose, idle motor, battery, filters, serp belt, shocks, etc.), but nothing extreme. The biggest one was to replace a couple of creaking factory front suspension links with zerk-equipped aftermarket units. The 'shift profile' of the auto tranny IMO upshifts too quickly for the V6, impacting acceleration if you're not familiar with its behavior. It's fine in the flatland, but in hills (particularly on cruise), it downshifts a lot, sometimes drastically. All in all though, I still like it a lot.

I'm almost 6'2" and really have enjoyed the legroom in the Dakota. With my driver's seat pushed all the way back, I can lock my knees and my foot (under the brake pedal) is still off the floor. The overall size of the Dakota is great for me - Plenty of room without the usual pickup 'hugeness'.

Make the back "seat" (i.e., slab of upholstered foam on the floorboard) more substantial.