1999 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
OK, but look before you buy
By Craig on 12/16/05 22:33 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Very stiff ride, rocks a lot on bumpy roads. My wife and kids complained incessantly about the poor optics at the edges of the windshield. Definitely a gas hog. Had some wierd repairs I thought should not have happened - leading belly pan, upper and lower ball joints failed. Very small gas tank and had to fill up way to often. My previous estimation of Dodge quality suffered with this truck. Seemed to be a lot of noise when at highway speeds. Other years are probably more thoughtfully put together.

Wish it had a HEMI, the 1999 Dakota SLT
By John Holtzclaw on 10/20/05 19:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've owned the Dakota SLT extended cab for 2 years now and it has been a great truck for me. In that time, it has only broken down once, and that was the battery losing a cell. Now, at 93000 miles the upper ball joints are starting to go out, which I hear is common on these trucks. Mechanically the truck is very sound. I have the V6 2 wheel drive and do not find it very off road worthy. I am a little disappointed in the lack of power when compared to other trucks of similar size and age. For a V6 with so so horsepower, the gas mileage should be better. I'm pulling 18 on the highway. Overall I am very pleased with this truck.

Dakota Rocks!
By cobb_cruiser on 07/27/05 19:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased just it a few weeks ago, and all I can say is it's a great truck. Best looking truck on the road. It has 127k miles, but rides excellent. Mine has a 5.2L V8 which produces lots of power! Gas mileage is OK for this much power. Great acceleration. Great turning radius. Good braking. The power steering pressure hose developed a pin-hole (have no idea why?). But replacing it was a breeze! Lots of room to work around. Easy access. I expect to drive it about another 127k based on what I have seen and experienced so far. Love this truck!

Owner
By John Ross on 07/19/05 20:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It is a good solid truck. There have been few problems with it so far - I was a Ranger owner before and I like this truck a lot better. It was a good choice for me I am very happy with it.

Best Truck I ever owned
By brown48047 on 06/19/05 14:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I loved the truck from the day I drove off the lot. Now 117K miles later I still feel the same. The catalyic converter went at 80K(warranty). A/C went at 115K ($875) which I paid because I still want to keep the truck. My brother works for GM, and I have a GM Card, but I still prefer my Dodge. I take care of my truck and my truck takes care of me.

Served Me Well
By earkahuna on 05/24/05 16:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Ordered with features I wanted. Lots of commuting miles so I purchased the 6 clyinder. Interior room better than later models. Nothing extraordinarily expensive to fix. Able to be serviced by local mechanics. Based on record would buy a Dodge again.

As good as the old cabs and cop cars
By Bob Herbert on 02/15/05 16:26 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Sure it may not be as stylish as some or as fast as others, but it is a nice ride comfortable on long trips. Average gas mileage, and reliable to a fault....83k and a set of plugs and wires, and a water pump....my wife's GMC Yukon has had over a grand of repairs in the same time....

Dakota R/T
By harold powell on 02/02/05 17:17 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Very nice vehicle. I had a Chevrolet S10 prior to this vehicle and the Dodge beats it in every catogory. The big V8 make the truck a real sleeper and will out run most of the foreign junk. As long as there are American vehicles like this, I will never go foreign.

Better than a Ranger and a Ram
By Spinners2021 on 01/03/05 21:59 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

In have a 99' Dodge dakota V8 5.2L 4WD Ext. Cab. It runs good and has alot of power. I live on a dirt road so it burns out real easily, even when i just tap the gas. It has an ok tunring radius and good acceleration. I wax and polish it about once a month and try my best to keep the inside clean. It is between the size of a ranger and a ram. It is a good looking and driving truck. I have 74K on it now.

318 + 5 spd + 4wd = fun times.
By mridgwaycan on 12/24/04 17:29 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Not great gas mileage even with w/ 3.54 gears and 31 inch factory tires. Ball joints and cat @ 30,000 miles (warrantee). Speed sensor @ 140,000 miles. Everything still straight and square despite a couple of airborne episodes. 160,000 miles and just did front brake pads. Rears 60% OK. Got 2,600# payload package - fantastic - has narrowed Ram rear end and springs. Hauls wood, gravel, soil, camping stuff, farm supplies. Heavier than a full-size Chevy!