1999 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Generally Satisfied Owner
By Peterbilt03 on 11/30/07 01:54 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My Dakota was a good purchase, the truck has been very reliable and far exceeds the quality of my previous Blazer ZR2, the truck has required maintainence and repairs, as any vehicle will, nothing major or out of the ordinary, trucks power with the 318 is very good, turning radius is exceptional which makes for easy parking, the interior build quality is very good and pleasing to the eye, far better than any GM product(my opinoin, not a fact) the transfer case engauges flawlessly and instantly everytime as compaired to electric shift systems, mileage is good in my opinion, if you want awesome mileage you shouldnt be looking for a truck, i will surely buy a Dodge for my next vehicle.

Great trucks
By bobdog on 11/02/07 12:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I know I'm only 17 but my Dodge Dakota Sport is great. It handles well out in the desert where I am all the time when I have some free time. My truck handles well and is easy to keep in control. I live in Utah so when it snows it should be a little harder to keep in controll right? No! it stays with me at all times "and with no arguing". I have a friend that owns an older trans am. Great clasic mussle car fast and fun. My truck smokes it every time right off the line v8's are nothing to mess with. And handles better than my other friend's lancer evo "met for rally racing". Dodge makes a great truck.

Dodge Dakota
By broncos4zak on 02/28/07 23:28 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Overall this truck has served me well. The power isn't too bad, interior comfort is pretty good. Reliability has been good. The market value stinks though.

All you could ask for
By stuffingmonkey on 02/13/07 17:47 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

The truck has been solid if not spectacular during my ownership of about 85,000 miles. If it has received $1000 in repairs, that would be a lot. The cat was replaced early on (covered by warranty), and the alignment went awry early such that I only got 15,000 miles out of the two front stock tires (alignment fix was warranty). Other than that, no serious issues to report. Power with the V6 is good with some pep when you need it, and MPG has been right around 20 with a bias toward highway miles.

Great 4 cyl pickup
By Dodge man on 01/11/07 08:38 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought new in '99, this truck has been great to me so far. It gets up to 26 mpg on the hiway and yet hauls anything I put in the back. I'm easy on vehicles and at 118K I'm still using the original brakes and am on the second set of tires. I went this year to buy another and discovered Dodge doesnt make the 4 cyl in the Dakota anymore. Such a shame! I just have to baby this one some more!

A great pickup
By DakotaSport on 12/09/06 16:45 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

If you're in the market for a mid sized truck the Dodge Dakota is an excellent choice. I disagree the unhappy reviews. Most people don't write reviews if they are satisified. I've had my truck for over a year, and although I have replaced a few things, the truck's overall performance and features well make up for the repairs you may need to do. The truck's size is far less bulky than that of the full size p/u, and allows for easy parking in most situations. The truck's ride, power, and curb appeal are all excellent. Prevenitive maintence eliminates numerous problems listed in other reviews. The Dakota's interior build quality far exceeds that of many other manufacturers, I.E no rattles.

My Dakota
By Sierra on 08/07/06 04:34 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned my truck for 5 years. It is comfortable and fun to drive. It looks nice and the paint job is very good.

Dodge Dakota 1999 ext. cab sport
By broncos4zak on 07/25/06 03:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Basically I bought this truck knowing I drive about an hour each way to work and needing something comfortable, reliable, and decent on gas. All of that has happened. I made some mods in order to get 20mpg from this V-6, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, and Flowmaster exhaust. Issues have been tranny rebuilt at 63,000, cat at 110,000, front hubs at 130,000, and 2 outboard speed sensors. I bought this truck with 59,000 and currently have 145,000+ on it. Overall a good truck, could have better gas mileage, better tranny (more reliable and better shift points), and more ponies. Love the handling, traction is pretty good for 2wd, interior layout is good.

Love my '99 Dakota
By DakotaLover on 04/01/06 13:36 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck used recently, with about 109K on the odometer. The truck had been well cared-for, with a clean interior and immaculate exterior. With high mileage on the odometer, my plan was to replace most front-end parts as wear would be typical, and I did so. I now have very tight steering. I've serviced all filters, and flushed/replaced all lubricants in the A/T and transfer case, even the power steering system. My hope is to get at least another 100K out of her before considering another vehicle. This one was just too clean to pass up, out on the lot!

Good Truck -Reliable
By mike on 01/15/06 16:47 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love this truck and am very pleased with its performance. Reliable, fast, and sharp looks. Decent gas mileage.