Used 1999 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Solid Truck Great Value
By Boney15

1999 Dodge Dakota 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned my Dakota for five years now. Bought it with 26000 miles, now has 64000. Only thing I have replaced has been the battery. Haven't replaced a single other thing. Not a u joint, ball joint, brake pad, muffler, anything! Here's the best part. I also plow my snow with it up here in Michigan's upper peninsula. We get around 250" of the white stuff every winter so I use it a lot. I have a Blizzard 720LT plow for it and it pushes all the snow you'd ever want. People think that using your truck to plow snow is too hard on them, but not my Dakota. I know many guys with Fords and Chevys who plow and they're always getting something fixed. They quality of this truck has been superb!

Superior quality. Great looks. Decent fuel economy.

No third door to access rear seat. Larger than usual blind spots with this truck.

Pretty darn good so far
By Madfison-Mig

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Found a gem on craigslist last March and bought a 99 Dakota sport extended cab with 17k original miles (hard to believe but true). All good so far - driven it 5K miles in 9 months and a few oil changes is all the maintenance/repairs thus far. Winter has hit here in WI and an extra 300-400 pounds in the back and traction in manageable around town. Gas mileage leaves something to be desired but I knew that buying a truck. Mine has topper and bedliner and is pretty basic (no power windows or locks - am/fm stereo). Great to haul the kids baseball gear around in the summer and help friends move stuff when they ask!

Rear seats that face forward as opposed to the inside on other extended cab trucks. Center console/armrest is a nice touch and interior seems to be holding up well.

Better gas mileage, factory stereo is plain but works. Going to add a Yakima bike/gear rack to the topper in the spring.

Dakota 4Cyl
By DMS

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my Dodge Dakota with 70,000 miles on it. I jumped into buying it. It has the 2.5 L 4 cylinder engine that is expected to carry over 3500 pounds. I have a difficult time getting up to speed and fill I am going to get run over. And with a 4 cylinder I only average 18 mpg that is unbelievably low. But besides having no power, the truck has needed both upper and lower ball joints, radiator at 80,000 miles, the crankshaft sensor at 85,000 miles, the front seal went out at 91,000 miles so I spent over 1,200 dollars in two years in repairs. But at the moment I have 107,000 miles on it and it is finally running good, but I am still not getting anywhere fast.

Interior comfort,and body style

Better suspension, better power, Lower engine noise, better A/C.

My 99 V6 Dakota
By thetrurocker91

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab LB

Ok. Well I've read everyone else's reviews and I have to beg to differ with some of them. I have a 99 Dakota V6 Sport with the long bed and standard cab. I took out the back seat to put stereo and have dual Gibson exhaust, Airaid Cold Air Intake, and 20" rims on 45 series tires. The power for a V6 on big rims and tires, I think is great. I can still do a decent brake stand! Although, even with all the modifications, the gas mileage is still horrible. I average around 10 mpg and 12 on a cold day. I perform routine maintenance and it has never given up on me. Ride quality is that of a Buick, even with the rims! Overall, I give it a 8 out of 10. Even though I already have 140,000+ miles on it!

The ride quality and power of the V6 for the size of the truck. Pretty good hook up and plan on dropping in 360 V8 for more performance. Also going to convert to HHO hybrid for better gas mileage.(HHO made through electrolysis) Approx. minimum increase of 40% mpg increase.

Just the gas mileage and maybe a little better paint job. Very thin. Parts made cheaper too! That would definitely be nice!

Somewhat satisfied
By SOME WHAT SATISFIED

1999 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I purchased this truck in sept. 2007 from a used car lot that I trust very much. For the first few months it was great. The gas mpg had something to be desired but what can you do. During the winter months I froze because the factory heater didn't work correctly no matter what we did. We had to take the thermostat out so the truck wouldn't run hot. Now that is is over 100,000 miles everything is starting to go wrong. I have replaced the tensioner pulley 3 times and still squeals. The whole front end is going out. But for right now it gets me from point a to point b. I am trading it in within the next few months for something with better fuel mpg. 2500 on repairs in 1 month.

the seats are comfortable to relax in especially with all the surgeries i have had and had to ride home in it

better gas mpg,better power,better heater,heavy duty front end as far as the tie rods, wheel bearings, bushings etc. better heater