1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Always a Dodge Chick :)
By Sami08 on 08/14/10 23:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is my second Dodge Dakota and I love them! The one I have now. I'm the second owner and the truck has 247k miles on it and still all stock and running like a champ! 4x4 works awesome even when I had bad tires it got me out of the snow in my area. I have got friends hooked on this truck and now they want one! Gas mileage isnt too hateful. I'm a broke college student and it does good for me around town and trips back home. Always will buy dodges. They are the only thing that seem to last when taken care of!

Problems, Problems, Problems
By martinex on 10/21/09 01:18 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I owned a 97 Dakota 2WD V8 prior to buying this one. I loved it. It got reasonable gas mileage (around 20mpg) and would leap off the line. My only problem was with all that torque (and crappy Goodyear Wranglers), the truck would spin out on slick pavement. My solution was to get a 99 Dakota Sport with the same 5.2 liter engine and 4WD. Whooboy! First of all the extra weight of the transmission drastically cut down on performance. Secondly gas mileage dropped significantly (of course) but what was most disturbing was the repair costs. Engine, suspension, electrical...you name it. All within the first 20,000 miles.

My 99 V6 Dakota
By thetrurocker91 on 06/09/08 12:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab LB

Ok. Well I've read everyone else's reviews and I have to beg to differ with some of them. I have a 99 Dakota V6 Sport with the long bed and standard cab. I took out the back seat to put stereo and have dual Gibson exhaust, Airaid Cold Air Intake, and 20" rims on 45 series tires. The power for a V6 on big rims and tires, I think is great. I can still do a decent brake stand! Although, even with all the modifications, the gas mileage is still horrible. I average around 10 mpg and 12 on a cold day. I perform routine maintenance and it has never given up on me. Ride quality is that of a Buick, even with the rims! Overall, I give it a 8 out of 10. Even though I already have 140,000+ miles on it!

Somewhat satisfied
By SOME WHAT SATISFIED on 05/12/08 04:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I purchased this truck in sept. 2007 from a used car lot that I trust very much. For the first few months it was great. The gas mpg had something to be desired but what can you do. During the winter months I froze because the factory heater didn't work correctly no matter what we did. We had to take the thermostat out so the truck wouldn't run hot. Now that is is over 100,000 miles everything is starting to go wrong. I have replaced the tensioner pulley 3 times and still squeals. The whole front end is going out. But for right now it gets me from point a to point b. I am trading it in within the next few months for something with better fuel mpg. 2500 on repairs in 1 month.

Great trucks
By bobdog on 11/02/07 12:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I know I'm only 17 but my Dodge Dakota Sport is great. It handles well out in the desert where I am all the time when I have some free time. My truck handles well and is easy to keep in control. I live in Utah so when it snows it should be a little harder to keep in controll right? No! it stays with me at all times "and with no arguing". I have a friend that owns an older trans am. Great clasic mussle car fast and fun. My truck smokes it every time right off the line v8's are nothing to mess with. And handles better than my other friend's lancer evo "met for rally racing". Dodge makes a great truck.

OK, but look before you buy
By Craig on 12/16/05 22:33 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Very stiff ride, rocks a lot on bumpy roads. My wife and kids complained incessantly about the poor optics at the edges of the windshield. Definitely a gas hog. Had some wierd repairs I thought should not have happened - leading belly pan, upper and lower ball joints failed. Very small gas tank and had to fill up way to often. My previous estimation of Dodge quality suffered with this truck. Seemed to be a lot of noise when at highway speeds. Other years are probably more thoughtfully put together.

318 + 5 spd + 4wd = fun times.
By mridgwaycan on 12/24/04 17:29 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Not great gas mileage even with w/ 3.54 gears and 31 inch factory tires. Ball joints and cat @ 30,000 miles (warrantee). Speed sensor @ 140,000 miles. Everything still straight and square despite a couple of airborne episodes. 160,000 miles and just did front brake pads. Rears 60% OK. Got 2,600# payload package - fantastic - has narrowed Ram rear end and springs. Hauls wood, gravel, soil, camping stuff, farm supplies. Heavier than a full-size Chevy!

Got a Hemi? NO! it's a Honda Engine!
By Crohill on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I will not be teaching my child how to say Hemi! My child will be saying"HONDA" As I just purchased a new Saturn Vue with the Honda Engine. I will never buy a Dodge Product again. all before 95000 miles, HERE WE GO.... Power steering pump, water pump, fan clutch, ball joints, transmission... this is way to much to be happening to this vehicle. To prove my point further, my wife drove this truck so gentle, at 95,000 it still has the original brakes. STAY AWAY FROM DODGE IF YOU WANT QUALITY!!!!!!

Best "compact truck" buy you can make!]
By MagnumDak on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Ive had this vehicle for about three months now and have had no problems at all. It has over 85,000 miles on it but the 318 ci (5.2L) still runs as strong as ever. I take meticulous care of her as she is an older vehicle but there isnt a thing to complain about. I was backed into by a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it totaled the Jeep but put only a 1/2 inch dent in my bumper. I am super immpressed with the acceleration of this truck and its ability to effortlessly "peel out". Overall this is an outstanding truck.

Buggy since new
By ShaneOhio on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Nice truck but lots of bugs and mechanical woes.Two converters,alternator,fan clutch,ball joints,and many other complaints to list!It's too bad the quality of parts are so bad,this would be a great truck otherwise.Will not buy another one unless Dodge wakes up and fixes all this.