Used 1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Always a Dodge Chick :)
By Sami08

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is my second Dodge Dakota and I love them! The one I have now. I'm the second owner and the truck has 247k miles on it and still all stock and running like a champ! 4x4 works awesome even when I had bad tires it got me out of the snow in my area. I have got friends hooked on this truck and now they want one! Gas mileage isnt too hateful. I'm a broke college student and it does good for me around town and trips back home. Always will buy dodges. They are the only thing that seem to last when taken care of!

Favorite Features

Purple paint, sporty look

Suggested Improvements

Front end parts (ball joints, tie rod ends)

Problems, Problems, Problems
By martinex

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I owned a 97 Dakota 2WD V8 prior to buying this one. I loved it. It got reasonable gas mileage (around 20mpg) and would leap off the line. My only problem was with all that torque (and crappy Goodyear Wranglers), the truck would spin out on slick pavement. My solution was to get a 99 Dakota Sport with the same 5.2 liter engine and 4WD. Whooboy! First of all the extra weight of the transmission drastically cut down on performance. Secondly gas mileage dropped significantly (of course) but what was most disturbing was the repair costs. Engine, suspension, electrical...you name it. All within the first 20,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Good (not great) pickup. Short turning radius. Best handling truck I've ever driven.

Suggested Improvements

The mopar battery was a constant source of problems. Recommend replacing it immediately.

My 99 V6 Dakota
By thetrurocker91

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab LB

Ok. Well I've read everyone else's reviews and I have to beg to differ with some of them. I have a 99 Dakota V6 Sport with the long bed and standard cab. I took out the back seat to put stereo and have dual Gibson exhaust, Airaid Cold Air Intake, and 20" rims on 45 series tires. The power for a V6 on big rims and tires, I think is great. I can still do a decent brake stand! Although, even with all the modifications, the gas mileage is still horrible. I average around 10 mpg and 12 on a cold day. I perform routine maintenance and it has never given up on me. Ride quality is that of a Buick, even with the rims! Overall, I give it a 8 out of 10. Even though I already have 140,000+ miles on it!

Favorite Features

The ride quality and power of the V6 for the size of the truck. Pretty good hook up and plan on dropping in 360 V8 for more performance. Also going to convert to HHO hybrid for better gas mileage.(HHO made through electrolysis) Approx. minimum increase of 40% mpg increase.

Suggested Improvements

Just the gas mileage and maybe a little better paint job. Very thin. Parts made cheaper too! That would definitely be nice!

Somewhat satisfied
By SOME WHAT SATISFIED

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I purchased this truck in sept. 2007 from a used car lot that I trust very much. For the first few months it was great. The gas mpg had something to be desired but what can you do. During the winter months I froze because the factory heater didn't work correctly no matter what we did. We had to take the thermostat out so the truck wouldn't run hot. Now that is is over 100,000 miles everything is starting to go wrong. I have replaced the tensioner pulley 3 times and still squeals. The whole front end is going out. But for right now it gets me from point a to point b. I am trading it in within the next few months for something with better fuel mpg. 2500 on repairs in 1 month.

Favorite Features

the seats are comfortable to relax in especially with all the surgeries i have had and had to ride home in it

Suggested Improvements

better gas mpg,better power,better heater,heavy duty front end as far as the tie rods, wheel bearings, bushings etc. better heater

Great trucks
By bobdog

1999 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I know I'm only 17 but my Dodge Dakota Sport is great. It handles well out in the desert where I am all the time when I have some free time. My truck handles well and is easy to keep in control. I live in Utah so when it snows it should be a little harder to keep in controll right? No! it stays with me at all times "and with no arguing". I have a friend that owns an older trans am. Great clasic mussle car fast and fun. My truck smokes it every time right off the line v8's are nothing to mess with. And handles better than my other friend's lancer evo "met for rally racing". Dodge makes a great truck.

Favorite Features

Speed and traction plus it needs very little to maintain it.

Suggested Improvements

Taller. I like a little bit bigger trucks but other then that nothing. I put a 4" liftkit on just because I like them bigger.