1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Pretty darn good so far
By Madfison-Mig on 12/15/08 18:57 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Found a gem on craigslist last March and bought a 99 Dakota sport extended cab with 17k original miles (hard to believe but true). All good so far - driven it 5K miles in 9 months and a few oil changes is all the maintenance/repairs thus far. Winter has hit here in WI and an extra 300-400 pounds in the back and traction in manageable around town. Gas mileage leaves something to be desired but I knew that buying a truck. Mine has topper and bedliner and is pretty basic (no power windows or locks - am/fm stereo). Great to haul the kids baseball gear around in the summer and help friends move stuff when they ask!

Dakota 4Cyl
By DMS on 07/21/08 13:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my Dodge Dakota with 70,000 miles on it. I jumped into buying it. It has the 2.5 L 4 cylinder engine that is expected to carry over 3500 pounds. I have a difficult time getting up to speed and fill I am going to get run over. And with a 4 cylinder I only average 18 mpg that is unbelievably low. But besides having no power, the truck has needed both upper and lower ball joints, radiator at 80,000 miles, the crankshaft sensor at 85,000 miles, the front seal went out at 91,000 miles so I spent over 1,200 dollars in two years in repairs. But at the moment I have 107,000 miles on it and it is finally running good, but I am still not getting anywhere fast.

Dodge Dakota
By broncos4zak on 02/28/07 23:28 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Overall this truck has served me well. The power isn't too bad, interior comfort is pretty good. Reliability has been good. The market value stinks though.

All you could ask for
By stuffingmonkey on 02/13/07 17:47 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

The truck has been solid if not spectacular during my ownership of about 85,000 miles. If it has received $1000 in repairs, that would be a lot. The cat was replaced early on (covered by warranty), and the alignment went awry early such that I only got 15,000 miles out of the two front stock tires (alignment fix was warranty). Other than that, no serious issues to report. Power with the V6 is good with some pep when you need it, and MPG has been right around 20 with a bias toward highway miles.

A great pickup
By DakotaSport on 12/09/06 16:45 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

If you're in the market for a mid sized truck the Dodge Dakota is an excellent choice. I disagree the unhappy reviews. Most people don't write reviews if they are satisified. I've had my truck for over a year, and although I have replaced a few things, the truck's overall performance and features well make up for the repairs you may need to do. The truck's size is far less bulky than that of the full size p/u, and allows for easy parking in most situations. The truck's ride, power, and curb appeal are all excellent. Prevenitive maintence eliminates numerous problems listed in other reviews. The Dakota's interior build quality far exceeds that of many other manufacturers, I.E no rattles.

Dodge Dakota 1999 ext. cab sport
By broncos4zak on 07/25/06 03:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Basically I bought this truck knowing I drive about an hour each way to work and needing something comfortable, reliable, and decent on gas. All of that has happened. I made some mods in order to get 20mpg from this V-6, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, and Flowmaster exhaust. Issues have been tranny rebuilt at 63,000, cat at 110,000, front hubs at 130,000, and 2 outboard speed sensors. I bought this truck with 59,000 and currently have 145,000+ on it. Overall a good truck, could have better gas mileage, better tranny (more reliable and better shift points), and more ponies. Love the handling, traction is pretty good for 2wd, interior layout is good.

Good Truck -Reliable
By mike on 01/15/06 16:47 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love this truck and am very pleased with its performance. Reliable, fast, and sharp looks. Decent gas mileage.

Dakota Rocks!
By cobb_cruiser on 07/27/05 19:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased just it a few weeks ago, and all I can say is it's a great truck. Best looking truck on the road. It has 127k miles, but rides excellent. Mine has a 5.2L V8 which produces lots of power! Gas mileage is OK for this much power. Great acceleration. Great turning radius. Good braking. The power steering pressure hose developed a pin-hole (have no idea why?). But replacing it was a breeze! Lots of room to work around. Easy access. I expect to drive it about another 127k based on what I have seen and experienced so far. Love this truck!

Solid well built truck.
By nothing789 on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

OK this a well built american truck all those who disagree probably drive a toyota. my truck was bought @ 90k miles i have had it for a year and 16k on it. I have replace the cat and soon ball joints. Ball joints are normal to go out look and fords an chevys the eat them like they are nothing the cat was replaced w/ after market those who used factory obviously don't know cars. the tranny still shifts well and seems to be very strong. all in all this is one of the best truck i have been in.

troubles
By sdh on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck was great until 87,000 miles, then it fell apart. It burns up cat converters--needs 4th already, had to have a new transmission and ball joints.