1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
A great truck
By scott251 on 10/14/12 12:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had a solar yellow r/t and it was a great truck. That thing had tons of power and was pretty fast. I never had any issues with it. I drove great, was comfortable, parts were cheap, looked great, an all around good truck. It had 142,000 miles on it when I sold it. I sold it due to the gas mileage and gas prices but I miss that truck everyday and plan on getting another soon.

Great mid-size pickup, virtually unique
By lphilpot on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

At 117+K miles, it's still completely trustworthy (17 city, 20+ highway with a 3.9L V6). I've done the usual scheduled maintenance and replaced a few things along the way (water pump, power steering hose, idle motor, battery, filters, serp belt, shocks, etc.), but nothing extreme. The biggest one was to replace a couple of creaking factory front suspension links with zerk-equipped aftermarket units. The 'shift profile' of the auto tranny IMO upshifts too quickly for the V6, impacting acceleration if you're not familiar with its behavior. It's fine in the flatland, but in hills (particularly on cruise), it downshifts a lot, sometimes drastically. All in all though, I still like it a lot.

A solid pickup and nice to drive
By JBsDak on 03/19/10 18:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Only owning this truck for a year, I can't really say how reliable it's been before me, but it feels like it's been well maintained, has 100K miles now. It is a great vehicle to drive, it feels like a bigger vehicle than it really is and very comfortable and plenty of power. I have had to put all new ball joints on it but that is one of the common problems with Dakotas, the gas mileage is pretty poor, about 15 mpg but it has a 5.2 L V8, you want great gas mileage buy something else, though I understand the newer V6 gets close to 20 mpg. It would probably be smarter get the V6 as the V8 is more power than most people need. Anyway I love this truck and would buy a new one if could afford to.

Solid Truck Great Value
By Boney15 on 02/11/09 18:14 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned my Dakota for five years now. Bought it with 26000 miles, now has 64000. Only thing I have replaced has been the battery. Haven't replaced a single other thing. Not a u joint, ball joint, brake pad, muffler, anything! Here's the best part. I also plow my snow with it up here in Michigan's upper peninsula. We get around 250" of the white stuff every winter so I use it a lot. I have a Blizzard 720LT plow for it and it pushes all the snow you'd ever want. People think that using your truck to plow snow is too hard on them, but not my Dakota. I know many guys with Fords and Chevys who plow and they're always getting something fixed. They quality of this truck has been superb!

Pretty darn good so far
By Madfison-Mig on 12/15/08 18:57 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Found a gem on craigslist last March and bought a 99 Dakota sport extended cab with 17k original miles (hard to believe but true). All good so far - driven it 5K miles in 9 months and a few oil changes is all the maintenance/repairs thus far. Winter has hit here in WI and an extra 300-400 pounds in the back and traction in manageable around town. Gas mileage leaves something to be desired but I knew that buying a truck. Mine has topper and bedliner and is pretty basic (no power windows or locks - am/fm stereo). Great to haul the kids baseball gear around in the summer and help friends move stuff when they ask!

Dakota 4Cyl
By DMS on 07/21/08 13:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my Dodge Dakota with 70,000 miles on it. I jumped into buying it. It has the 2.5 L 4 cylinder engine that is expected to carry over 3500 pounds. I have a difficult time getting up to speed and fill I am going to get run over. And with a 4 cylinder I only average 18 mpg that is unbelievably low. But besides having no power, the truck has needed both upper and lower ball joints, radiator at 80,000 miles, the crankshaft sensor at 85,000 miles, the front seal went out at 91,000 miles so I spent over 1,200 dollars in two years in repairs. But at the moment I have 107,000 miles on it and it is finally running good, but I am still not getting anywhere fast.

Generally Satisfied Owner
By Peterbilt03 on 11/30/07 01:54 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My Dakota was a good purchase, the truck has been very reliable and far exceeds the quality of my previous Blazer ZR2, the truck has required maintainence and repairs, as any vehicle will, nothing major or out of the ordinary, trucks power with the 318 is very good, turning radius is exceptional which makes for easy parking, the interior build quality is very good and pleasing to the eye, far better than any GM product(my opinoin, not a fact) the transfer case engauges flawlessly and instantly everytime as compaired to electric shift systems, mileage is good in my opinion, if you want awesome mileage you shouldnt be looking for a truck, i will surely buy a Dodge for my next vehicle.

Dodge Dakota
By broncos4zak on 02/28/07 23:28 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Overall this truck has served me well. The power isn't too bad, interior comfort is pretty good. Reliability has been good. The market value stinks though.

All you could ask for
By stuffingmonkey on 02/13/07 17:47 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

The truck has been solid if not spectacular during my ownership of about 85,000 miles. If it has received $1000 in repairs, that would be a lot. The cat was replaced early on (covered by warranty), and the alignment went awry early such that I only got 15,000 miles out of the two front stock tires (alignment fix was warranty). Other than that, no serious issues to report. Power with the V6 is good with some pep when you need it, and MPG has been right around 20 with a bias toward highway miles.

Great 4 cyl pickup
By Dodge man on 01/11/07 08:38 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought new in '99, this truck has been great to me so far. It gets up to 26 mpg on the hiway and yet hauls anything I put in the back. I'm easy on vehicles and at 118K I'm still using the original brakes and am on the second set of tires. I went this year to buy another and discovered Dodge doesnt make the 4 cyl in the Dakota anymore. Such a shame! I just have to baby this one some more!

1 2 3 4 5 next »