1999 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Great mid-size pickup, virtually unique
By lphilpot on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

At 117+K miles, it's still completely trustworthy (17 city, 20+ highway with a 3.9L V6). I've done the usual scheduled maintenance and replaced a few things along the way (water pump, power steering hose, idle motor, battery, filters, serp belt, shocks, etc.), but nothing extreme. The biggest one was to replace a couple of creaking factory front suspension links with zerk-equipped aftermarket units. The 'shift profile' of the auto tranny IMO upshifts too quickly for the V6, impacting acceleration if you're not familiar with its behavior. It's fine in the flatland, but in hills (particularly on cruise), it downshifts a lot, sometimes drastically. All in all though, I still like it a lot.

Wish it had a HEMI, the 1999 Dakota SLT
By John Holtzclaw on 10/20/05 19:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've owned the Dakota SLT extended cab for 2 years now and it has been a great truck for me. In that time, it has only broken down once, and that was the battery losing a cell. Now, at 93000 miles the upper ball joints are starting to go out, which I hear is common on these trucks. Mechanically the truck is very sound. I have the V6 2 wheel drive and do not find it very off road worthy. I am a little disappointed in the lack of power when compared to other trucks of similar size and age. For a V6 with so so horsepower, the gas mileage should be better. I'm pulling 18 on the highway. Overall I am very pleased with this truck.

Owner
By John Ross on 07/19/05 20:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It is a good solid truck. There have been few problems with it so far - I was a Ranger owner before and I like this truck a lot better. It was a good choice for me I am very happy with it.

Best Truck I ever owned
By brown48047 on 06/19/05 14:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I loved the truck from the day I drove off the lot. Now 117K miles later I still feel the same. The catalyic converter went at 80K(warranty). A/C went at 115K ($875) which I paid because I still want to keep the truck. My brother works for GM, and I have a GM Card, but I still prefer my Dodge. I take care of my truck and my truck takes care of me.

Served Me Well
By earkahuna on 05/24/05 16:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Ordered with features I wanted. Lots of commuting miles so I purchased the 6 clyinder. Interior room better than later models. Nothing extraordinarily expensive to fix. Able to be serviced by local mechanics. Based on record would buy a Dodge again.

As good as the old cabs and cop cars
By Bob Herbert on 02/15/05 16:26 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Sure it may not be as stylish as some or as fast as others, but it is a nice ride comfortable on long trips. Average gas mileage, and reliable to a fault....83k and a set of plugs and wires, and a water pump....my wife's GMC Yukon has had over a grand of repairs in the same time....

truck is horrible
By mike9870 on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

catalyic converter is shot and from these reviews it is a common problem the automatic shifter column is a toy it is off about 1/4 inch so u dont know if your in drive or 2nd gear, the exterior mirrors don't fold in this truck is in desparate need of a redesign. your better off with a nissan frontier

awesome truck
By trckr1 on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

my dodge dakota is at 93,000 miles and still going strong, I have yet to find a problem with it, except for a leaking washer fluid bottle, no engine problems, no transmission problems, no major mechanical problems, its been a really good solid investment. very pleased with it. tires do slide somewhat when wet, but thats a goodyear problem

Never agian
By Going to Nissan on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had to replace my catalytic converter 5 times. The first was before my first oil change. That one only lasted 6 months. Replace again, got another 6 months out of it. After the third one it was the new and improved model, yeah right. Lasted a year. Replace again lasted another year. Go to Midas or someplace similar that has a warranty on their products.

The best American-made
By Greg S on 05/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I researched the small truck market for months prior to buying. On paper, it came down to the Dakota, Tacoma, and Ranger. After the test drive, the Dakota won hands down. It had more muscle, better styling, the best ride, and it just felt more like I was in a real truck. The only negative is the gas mileage, which has surprised me only because it's been a good bit lower than advertised. I am a big guy - 6'2", 250 lbs. - and this truck is easily roomy enough and comfortable enough for me to drive daily. The seats have never caused me any discomfort, even on long trips. After three years, I'm as happy with my decision as the day I drove it off the lot.