1999 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
A great truck
By scott251 on 10/14/12 12:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had a solar yellow r/t and it was a great truck. That thing had tons of power and was pretty fast. I never had any issues with it. I drove great, was comfortable, parts were cheap, looked great, an all around good truck. It had 142,000 miles on it when I sold it. I sold it due to the gas mileage and gas prices but I miss that truck everyday and plan on getting another soon.

Great mid-size pickup, virtually unique
By lphilpot on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

At 117+K miles, it's still completely trustworthy (17 city, 20+ highway with a 3.9L V6). I've done the usual scheduled maintenance and replaced a few things along the way (water pump, power steering hose, idle motor, battery, filters, serp belt, shocks, etc.), but nothing extreme. The biggest one was to replace a couple of creaking factory front suspension links with zerk-equipped aftermarket units. The 'shift profile' of the auto tranny IMO upshifts too quickly for the V6, impacting acceleration if you're not familiar with its behavior. It's fine in the flatland, but in hills (particularly on cruise), it downshifts a lot, sometimes drastically. All in all though, I still like it a lot.

Always a Dodge Chick :)
By Sami08 on 08/14/10 23:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is my second Dodge Dakota and I love them! The one I have now. I'm the second owner and the truck has 247k miles on it and still all stock and running like a champ! 4x4 works awesome even when I had bad tires it got me out of the snow in my area. I have got friends hooked on this truck and now they want one! Gas mileage isnt too hateful. I'm a broke college student and it does good for me around town and trips back home. Always will buy dodges. They are the only thing that seem to last when taken care of!

A solid pickup and nice to drive
By JBsDak on 03/19/10 18:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Only owning this truck for a year, I can't really say how reliable it's been before me, but it feels like it's been well maintained, has 100K miles now. It is a great vehicle to drive, it feels like a bigger vehicle than it really is and very comfortable and plenty of power. I have had to put all new ball joints on it but that is one of the common problems with Dakotas, the gas mileage is pretty poor, about 15 mpg but it has a 5.2 L V8, you want great gas mileage buy something else, though I understand the newer V6 gets close to 20 mpg. It would probably be smarter get the V6 as the V8 is more power than most people need. Anyway I love this truck and would buy a new one if could afford to.

Problems, Problems, Problems
By martinex on 10/21/09 01:18 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I owned a 97 Dakota 2WD V8 prior to buying this one. I loved it. It got reasonable gas mileage (around 20mpg) and would leap off the line. My only problem was with all that torque (and crappy Goodyear Wranglers), the truck would spin out on slick pavement. My solution was to get a 99 Dakota Sport with the same 5.2 liter engine and 4WD. Whooboy! First of all the extra weight of the transmission drastically cut down on performance. Secondly gas mileage dropped significantly (of course) but what was most disturbing was the repair costs. Engine, suspension, electrical...you name it. All within the first 20,000 miles.

Solid Truck Great Value
By Boney15 on 02/11/09 18:14 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned my Dakota for five years now. Bought it with 26000 miles, now has 64000. Only thing I have replaced has been the battery. Haven't replaced a single other thing. Not a u joint, ball joint, brake pad, muffler, anything! Here's the best part. I also plow my snow with it up here in Michigan's upper peninsula. We get around 250" of the white stuff every winter so I use it a lot. I have a Blizzard 720LT plow for it and it pushes all the snow you'd ever want. People think that using your truck to plow snow is too hard on them, but not my Dakota. I know many guys with Fords and Chevys who plow and they're always getting something fixed. They quality of this truck has been superb!

Pretty darn good so far
By Madfison-Mig on 12/15/08 18:57 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Found a gem on craigslist last March and bought a 99 Dakota sport extended cab with 17k original miles (hard to believe but true). All good so far - driven it 5K miles in 9 months and a few oil changes is all the maintenance/repairs thus far. Winter has hit here in WI and an extra 300-400 pounds in the back and traction in manageable around town. Gas mileage leaves something to be desired but I knew that buying a truck. Mine has topper and bedliner and is pretty basic (no power windows or locks - am/fm stereo). Great to haul the kids baseball gear around in the summer and help friends move stuff when they ask!

Dakota 4Cyl
By DMS on 07/21/08 13:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my Dodge Dakota with 70,000 miles on it. I jumped into buying it. It has the 2.5 L 4 cylinder engine that is expected to carry over 3500 pounds. I have a difficult time getting up to speed and fill I am going to get run over. And with a 4 cylinder I only average 18 mpg that is unbelievably low. But besides having no power, the truck has needed both upper and lower ball joints, radiator at 80,000 miles, the crankshaft sensor at 85,000 miles, the front seal went out at 91,000 miles so I spent over 1,200 dollars in two years in repairs. But at the moment I have 107,000 miles on it and it is finally running good, but I am still not getting anywhere fast.

My 99 V6 Dakota
By thetrurocker91 on 06/09/08 12:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab LB

Ok. Well I've read everyone else's reviews and I have to beg to differ with some of them. I have a 99 Dakota V6 Sport with the long bed and standard cab. I took out the back seat to put stereo and have dual Gibson exhaust, Airaid Cold Air Intake, and 20" rims on 45 series tires. The power for a V6 on big rims and tires, I think is great. I can still do a decent brake stand! Although, even with all the modifications, the gas mileage is still horrible. I average around 10 mpg and 12 on a cold day. I perform routine maintenance and it has never given up on me. Ride quality is that of a Buick, even with the rims! Overall, I give it a 8 out of 10. Even though I already have 140,000+ miles on it!

Somewhat satisfied
By SOME WHAT SATISFIED on 05/12/08 04:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I purchased this truck in sept. 2007 from a used car lot that I trust very much. For the first few months it was great. The gas mpg had something to be desired but what can you do. During the winter months I froze because the factory heater didn't work correctly no matter what we did. We had to take the thermostat out so the truck wouldn't run hot. Now that is is over 100,000 miles everything is starting to go wrong. I have replaced the tensioner pulley 3 times and still squeals. The whole front end is going out. But for right now it gets me from point a to point b. I am trading it in within the next few months for something with better fuel mpg. 2500 on repairs in 1 month.