1998 Dodge Dakota Consumer Review: Poor Paint

1998 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Review

Poor Paint
By Poor Paint on

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I ordered the truck with everything I wanted and was blown away when I went to the dealership to pick it up. So far, overall, it's been a very good reliable truck. The 318 V8 has plenty of power, but with any V8(and 4WD larger tires), fuel economy is poor. The interior is functional, durable and neat. Mechanically, it's been solid overall. I've had multiple ball joints replaced. No major problems with mine other than delamination of the paint which is very common for this Dakota. I've seen many others with the same problem.

Love the exterior. Best looking Dakota yet. The newest Dakotas are unappealing. Hate the fuel economy at 13.6 mpg/hwy, but love having the power and durability of a V8. With gas t $3.00+, I'll eventually get a 4 cylinder car and keep the truck for home use.

Chrysler needs to take responsibilty for the paint issue. They repainted problem areas when I still had an active warranty, but they declined any further repairs when the warranty expired. The paint problem started only 3 years after it was built and it continues to spread.