1998 Dodge Dakota Consumer Review: Issue with catalytic converter

1998 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Review

SLT Extended Cab Pickup (3.9L V6 5-speed Manual)

Issue with catalytic converter
By Bryan64 on

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I LOVE my 98 Dakota. It has performed reliably, except in one dept: I seem to be replacing cat's annually. A rattling begings to develop when the engine is pulling (I enjoy pulling G's out of my V6 w/ low geared rear-end). Dodge warranty has replaced the cat twice, and a muffler once because part of the cat went down the pipe and damaged the muffler. I have discussed my need for acceleration with the Dodge Boys and didn't get any indication that my driving is affecting the cat. Dodge wont evaluate the O2 sensor when they replace the faulty cats.

Love the external styling, the great paint, ease of access to engine fluid fill ports. The Infinity 6-speaker surround system can really deliver!

Fix my cat! Also ... where did Dodge intend for the CD changer to be mounted? It is a bit inconvenient where a third-party installer had put the Mopar CD changer. Have had to replace one CD changer cable during it's life.