1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Dodge Stinks
By Grayson on 07/29/05 06:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is the second Dodge Dakota Sport I have owned. The first one was a 1995. I must have checked my brain at the door to buy another one. If I hadn't paid it off, I'd ditch it in a heartbeat. This one has all of the same issues the first one had under a different body: -A/C died in year 4 and continues to back up into the interior to this day. No one will fix it; they just blow out the tube and tell me to come back in 3 months. I tell them money is no object and they still won't fix it. When the dash was apart to fix the A/C itself, they still didn't fix it -Door locks start to stick in year 3 -Front Ball joints go in year 4 -Catalytic converter toast in year 3 -Water pump gone in year 3

Expensive to Repair
By Jeff on 03/24/05 20:53 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

A joy to drive, but a nightmare on repair costs. Dodge doesn't make it easy to repair or replace a small piece or a small part, you have to replace the entire part. One example is on the Upper Swing Arm - instead of just replacing the bearing when it goes bad, you have to replace the whole Upper Swing Arm at around $300.

Don't Make the Mistake
By Unsatified fool on 03/11/05 18:31 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Poorly engineered mechanically. Gas mileage was my first disappointment, only about 1mile/gal better than full sized trucks. First thermostate lasted 11,000 miles. At 29,000 miles a ball joint required replacement. The factory installed CD quit at 45000 miles and the cup holder spring broke. Air bag module went out at 54000. Sensor for the rear brakes out at 72000. At 76000 the fan clutch, belt tensioner and water pump required replacement. In comparing this truck to previously owned Ford and Toyota small pickups I vote thumbs down.

My First Car
By mrken3235 on 11/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Ok well it wasn't really my first car, but my second to first. I love my truck. I have the 5.2 liter V-8 that will do anything you want it to, but will drink gas. I used to go from southwest Michigan to mid Minnesota quite frequently. The trip would cost $100 just in gas one way! Oh well, what do you expect with a big V-8 though? I've had my share of problems with it. Although I found out that it had been in an accident prior to my ownership of it. I would definitely recomend one of these and would probably get a new 2005 if they weren't so ugly and if they had the hemi.

2 Dr SLT Extended Cab Standard bed
By notnamedjess on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I just sold my Dakota after 6 years. Over all I really liked my truck and was proud of it. It was fun to drive and anyone that drove it liked it. It was comfortable with plenty of room in the front seat for passengers but the back seat was not comfortable for adults. The bed was a good size for anything I needed. I got an average of 18mpg, up to 23 and as low as 9mpg when pulling my boat.

BAD EXPERIENCE
By KIDZROCK4 on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

5.9 LITER ENGINE BLEW AT 96,000 MILES WITH NO WARNING THINK IT WAS OIL PUMP FAILURE. WAS DRIVING 65MPH DOWN A HIGHWAY WHEN CHECK GAUGES LIGHT CAME ON. REST IS STATED ABOVE. DODGE WILL DO NOTHING ABOUT THIS MISFORTUNE. THEY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND VEHICLE. WILL NOT ANSWER ANY OF MY QUESTIONS. I WILL NEVER BUY A DODGE PRODUCT AGAIN

Just good enough
By HoosierDaddy on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The brakes have always left me with the feeling that they are not adequate for this vehicle. I have to use considerable leg strength to stop quickly. There has been a strange thump/jerk in the steering wheel ever since I have had the truck and has gotten worse over time. I have had the front end aligned and checked several times. Steering is awful, the truck wonders while going down the road but everything is within "tolerance". Power is great and fuel economy is average, 15-17 mpg.

Dodge Clunk
By mseeley on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

In short, the most unreliable vehicle ever. From the beginning, quarterly trips to the dealership. At low mileage, problems of all sorts. Electrical, water pump, catalytic converter, alternator, 3 thermostats, starter coil, tie rods, steering linkage...Customer Care at Daimler/Chrysler blows too.

Great truck
By Stanley on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Truck has performed exceptionally well. The V-8 has plenty of power and never strains in any situation. Mileage is not great 13-17 but it is a truck and V- 8. Just the right size also.I recommend it highly.

superior ride
By kingmacaw on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

45000 miles and only one warranty repair ever needed-cruise control once went out. replaced shocks w/beltech nitros to stiffen up ride!