Used 1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

We love it!
By Graham

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

We have 175,000 miles on it, have driven it fairly hard, pulled trailers with it, towed a large trailer with a bulldozer on it, etc, and we have no complaints. We got our money's worth! 318 5.2L V8 should never have been discontinued. We have just (3 weeks ago) put a rear end in it, and that might have been damaged in an accident a few years ago. No engine/tranny trouble (no rebuilds or repairs on either). The only things that have gone wrong are the ball joint (and I hear those go bad regularly, but Dodge has made parts available so you don't have to buy a whole new assembly) and the AC evaporator. We tell people we're planning to give this to our first-born, who hasn't even been born yet!

318 V8, solid build (was hit in the rear end at a stop light so hard that my seat broke and wouldn't stay up, yet the damage to the rear was less than $2000!), optional wide mirrors for towing, fuel economy not bad (15-16 mpg), all electronics and controls still work perfectly, except light switch.

Ball joint redesign (little too late now), better headlight switch (same design since the 70's), better design for the electric window and lock panel/housing, separate the vent/recirculate function on its own knob. Sorry, these are petty, I know, but they asked.

Poor Paint
By Poor Paint

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I ordered the truck with everything I wanted and was blown away when I went to the dealership to pick it up. So far, overall, it's been a very good reliable truck. The 318 V8 has plenty of power, but with any V8(and 4WD larger tires), fuel economy is poor. The interior is functional, durable and neat. Mechanically, it's been solid overall. I've had multiple ball joints replaced. No major problems with mine other than delamination of the paint which is very common for this Dakota. I've seen many others with the same problem.

Love the exterior. Best looking Dakota yet. The newest Dakotas are unappealing. Hate the fuel economy at 13.6 mpg/hwy, but love having the power and durability of a V8. With gas t $3.00+, I'll eventually get a 4 cylinder car and keep the truck for home use.

Chrysler needs to take responsibilty for the paint issue. They repainted problem areas when I still had an active warranty, but they declined any further repairs when the warranty expired. The paint problem started only 3 years after it was built and it continues to spread.

Dodge Rocks
By Krude 1966

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck brand new, ordered just the way I wanted. V6 , 5 speed manual tranny, sport edition 2wd. I bought it to haul firewood and it has hauled anything you can imagine. It now has over 120000 miles and the only major problem was replacing the tranny in the spring of '95. That has been my only complaint is shifting from 1st to 2nd is very clunky. It gets reasonable mileage of 22mpg on the highway and 18mpg in town. This truck will be in my possession until I die, a very worthwhile investment in my book.

Bucket seats are very comfortable and lots of room under the hood for easy maintenance. Big smokey burnouts in the first 2 gears

Smoother shifting would be nice

Peppy Mid-Size Machine (V8)
By Joe

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Now that I have the Dakota I am very happy that I bought it. My friends always talk about their fast little cars, and to be in my 5.2 and beating all these sporty little cars makes me laugh so hard. They are relatively easy to work on and I love punching it when I am going slower than 40 mph because getting it to chirp is sweet. The Dakota to me is a fine truck I would buy them for a long time but only from 1997-1999 because of the 5.2 and body style because the new body style to me isn't that good looking.

Acceleration, power, exterior/interior looks, and the ability to roast them without a problem

Fuel economy, and if you're going to put infinty speakers in it make them somewhat good speakers. Another thing put a limited slip in there stock!

Stuck With It
By Blessed Anyway

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I rarely buy vehicles and only once bought new which was this one. Ball joints and brakes were bad news for this model. Several manufacturer recalls: steering, two exhaust related ones. Brakes warped (Underengineered). Oil pressure has been issue this past year. Had oil pump replaced and only slightly improved pressure. Overall, performance was great compared to other small trucks, especially power/acceleration from 4-cyl, but the quality of parts and durability was quite poor. Several interior items failed, some more than once. Emergency brake handle, glove box handle mechanism, and cup holder assembly all failed. Overall, it took a beating from me, but I feel I didn't get full value.

Baddest 4-cylinder performance in a pickup!

Better beefier brakes, more reliablity on components.