Used 1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Nice vehicle
By nsp98

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Plenty of space in the cab and decent headroom. The cloth seats are durable. The truck had 41,000 miles. The engine fan bearing was replaced so I checked for heat damage on the block. The gaskets and seals were original w/ no leaking. Rides nice, even when I pulled a lawn tractor/trailer.

Favorite Features

Auto/V6/Air, heats-up fast

There's no replacement for displacement
By pete

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab R/T Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

First of all, let me say, this is my second Dodge Dakota. And I have enjoyed this one just as much as my first. Second, to anyone who wants a truck that will always outperform not only the competition but your own expectations, this one is for you! My Dakota has exceptional ride and handling, especially for a truck with a short wheel base. The interior is comfortable with more leg and head room than other compact trucks, and me being 6' 2" that means alot. Also, I can certainly vouch for the reliability having put 142,000 combined miles on both my trucks. The only repair I've had was replacing a blower for the a/c once. However, the best feature of all... horsepower lots and lots of it!!

Favorite Features

5.9 litres of v8 in 3700 pounds of truck. a responsive shifter and a clutch that is responsive and comfortable, not numb and lifeless. The lumbar support is nice as well.

Suggested Improvements

The only flaw I can think of is where the cup holders are. They're right behind the shift knob so if your drink is too tall 2nd gear will knock it in the floorboards

Underpowered Dakota
By bobby62914

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

My 1998 Dodge Dakota with a four cylinder is terribly underpowered. Even negotiating a modest grade with the A/C running is impossible. It has no cupholders. It is poor visibility and is not fun, or easy, to drive.

Favorite Features

Radio receives AM well.

Suggested Improvements

CUPHOLDERS!

375,000miles. No Overhaul
By Mike Shatto

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

3.9 V6 engine/auto-trans origonal. New limited-slip differental, cheaper than stock, 250,000mi. Uses Amsoil,oil analysis& bypass oil filters. 120lb compression. Courier use, 250-350mi per day. Ethinol in gas=2MPG less.Cloth seats look new. Killer heater A/C.

Favorite Features

23MPG.CA border over Yosemite, 10,000 ft. thru Sacramento to Concord, carrying 2,000lb. LOVE the adaptive transmission! 18-19MPG empty.

Suggested Improvements

4wheel anti-lock brakes. individual map lights. more power. much better gas mileage. stronger front suspension.lower seat back broke 5 times.windshield rain gutters.

Great Buy
By thestuff

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LB

I've had my Dakota for over 3 years now and I love it. Value, power, everything is the best. I'd recommend this truck to anyone.

Favorite Features

It's the perfect size. Not too small, not too big.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing.