1998 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
We love it!
By Graham on 03/17/08 20:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

We have 175,000 miles on it, have driven it fairly hard, pulled trailers with it, towed a large trailer with a bulldozer on it, etc, and we have no complaints. We got our money's worth! 318 5.2L V8 should never have been discontinued. We have just (3 weeks ago) put a rear end in it, and that might have been damaged in an accident a few years ago. No engine/tranny trouble (no rebuilds or repairs on either). The only things that have gone wrong are the ball joint (and I hear those go bad regularly, but Dodge has made parts available so you don't have to buy a whole new assembly) and the AC evaporator. We tell people we're planning to give this to our first-born, who hasn't even been born yet!

Poor Paint
By Poor Paint on 01/02/08 10:47 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I ordered the truck with everything I wanted and was blown away when I went to the dealership to pick it up. So far, overall, it's been a very good reliable truck. The 318 V8 has plenty of power, but with any V8(and 4WD larger tires), fuel economy is poor. The interior is functional, durable and neat. Mechanically, it's been solid overall. I've had multiple ball joints replaced. No major problems with mine other than delamination of the paint which is very common for this Dakota. I've seen many others with the same problem.

Flash2Speed
By flashtube on 11/27/07 20:14 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

The best mid sized truck I have purchased. Runs like a hot rod. Outside paint is a beautiful emerald green. When I turn the key on I can hear a deep thrum from the exhaust.

Dodge Rocks
By Krude 1966 on 10/07/07 17:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck brand new, ordered just the way I wanted. V6 , 5 speed manual tranny, sport edition 2wd. I bought it to haul firewood and it has hauled anything you can imagine. It now has over 120000 miles and the only major problem was replacing the tranny in the spring of '95. That has been my only complaint is shifting from 1st to 2nd is very clunky. It gets reasonable mileage of 22mpg on the highway and 18mpg in town. This truck will be in my possession until I die, a very worthwhile investment in my book.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
By J. Garcia on 09/14/07 08:54 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

The Good: Good interior, lots of truck for the money. Fairly decent fuel mileage. The Bad: Ball joints were completely worn out. Replacing them requires chiseling and/or grinding steel rivets off. Cheap plastic interior pieces, not very well put together. The Ugly: Designed by an accountant. Control-arm bushings are not replaceable. The whole control-arm needs replacing at over $300 per. Rubber plug in the differential cover. Non adjustable clutch master/slave cylinder. Very notchy 5-speed, with completely wrong ratios for the 4 cylinder engine. Will not pull even a moderate incline at highway speeds in 5th gear. 50 year old pushrod engine design. Not even a crossflow cylinder head.

Peppy Mid-Size Machine (V8)
By Joe on 08/15/07 20:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Now that I have the Dakota I am very happy that I bought it. My friends always talk about their fast little cars, and to be in my 5.2 and beating all these sporty little cars makes me laugh so hard. They are relatively easy to work on and I love punching it when I am going slower than 40 mph because getting it to chirp is sweet. The Dakota to me is a fine truck I would buy them for a long time but only from 1997-1999 because of the 5.2 and body style because the new body style to me isn't that good looking.

Stuck With It
By Blessed Anyway on 05/18/07 02:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I rarely buy vehicles and only once bought new which was this one. Ball joints and brakes were bad news for this model. Several manufacturer recalls: steering, two exhaust related ones. Brakes warped (Underengineered). Oil pressure has been issue this past year. Had oil pump replaced and only slightly improved pressure. Overall, performance was great compared to other small trucks, especially power/acceleration from 4-cyl, but the quality of parts and durability was quite poor. Several interior items failed, some more than once. Emergency brake handle, glove box handle mechanism, and cup holder assembly all failed. Overall, it took a beating from me, but I feel I didn't get full value.

Dodge Dakota the Best Mid Size Truck
By justin on 04/30/07 11:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I think it is the best mid size truck you can buy. I have hade no major problems with it. It does use a lot of gas, but with a few mods and laying off the gas, the mileage goes up.

Just something about Dakotas
By R/T_Jarrod on 03/23/07 00:11 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

What can I say, it is my second Dakota and I have to admit I just don't think there is another small truck out there for me. How can you beat something that drives better than anything else as far as trucks go, performs beautifully, and has enough power and torque to pull a house off of its foundations? I guess there just is nothing better than driving the best looking, best overall, small truck ever. The best thing is, you can still use it like a truck, even though its a sporty ride at that. Unlike the Ford Lightning, which can haul/tow an astonishing 1500 pounds! Wow, that is weak. Dodge reached as close to perfection as you can get with this truck.

Lots of Power...Lots of Gas
By JakeD on 11/10/06 22:32 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought my '98 Dakota 4x4 about a year and a half ago and it has been a great truck. The 5.2L 318 has plenty of power, and the limited slip rear end makes for great burnouts. The 4 wheel drive is unbelivable. I've had it burried in mud to the point where the ground was even with the bottom of my window and I put it in reverse and it crawled right out to my suprise, and to the dissapointment of the angry hunters chasing after me. The only things that have been replaced in 63,000 miles are the water pump, ball joints, exhaust ( wasn't loud enough) and tires. The water pump and ball joints were a lot cheaper and easier to install than I thought they would be. The tires not so much.