1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Best Truck I've Owned
By Chris on 11/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LB

Bought this truck from my father in late 2002. Had it until I sold it in Summer of 2009. It had 218,000 miles on it when I sold and was still running great. Never had to do more than change the brakes, tires and oil. Started to rust a bit at the end, but that was expected.

Great Pick Up Truck
By WhiteWonder on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab LB

My Mom purchased this truck and it is simply amazing. We have an automatic and even the auto is quick. The interior is comfortable with a spacious armrest for even more comfortable driving. The sound system that comes stock is amazing and sounds great with tapes or just good old FM/AM radio. The drive is smooth and it absorbs bumps easily. We have had problems with the AC, but that's normal and our tranny line busted. AC get's pricey obviously, but a simple hose is nothing to repair. Fantastic truck I would recommend it to anybody!

Flash2Speed
By flashtube on 11/27/07 20:14 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

The best mid sized truck I have purchased. Runs like a hot rod. Outside paint is a beautiful emerald green. When I turn the key on I can hear a deep thrum from the exhaust.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
By J. Garcia on 09/14/07 08:54 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

The Good: Good interior, lots of truck for the money. Fairly decent fuel mileage. The Bad: Ball joints were completely worn out. Replacing them requires chiseling and/or grinding steel rivets off. Cheap plastic interior pieces, not very well put together. The Ugly: Designed by an accountant. Control-arm bushings are not replaceable. The whole control-arm needs replacing at over $300 per. Rubber plug in the differential cover. Non adjustable clutch master/slave cylinder. Very notchy 5-speed, with completely wrong ratios for the 4 cylinder engine. Will not pull even a moderate incline at highway speeds in 5th gear. 50 year old pushrod engine design. Not even a crossflow cylinder head.

Lots of Power...Lots of Gas
By JakeD on 11/10/06 22:32 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought my '98 Dakota 4x4 about a year and a half ago and it has been a great truck. The 5.2L 318 has plenty of power, and the limited slip rear end makes for great burnouts. The 4 wheel drive is unbelivable. I've had it burried in mud to the point where the ground was even with the bottom of my window and I put it in reverse and it crawled right out to my suprise, and to the dissapointment of the angry hunters chasing after me. The only things that have been replaced in 63,000 miles are the water pump, ball joints, exhaust ( wasn't loud enough) and tires. The water pump and ball joints were a lot cheaper and easier to install than I thought they would be. The tires not so much.

Nice vehicle
By nsp98 on 02/12/06 21:30 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Plenty of space in the cab and decent headroom. The cloth seats are durable. The truck had 41,000 miles. The engine fan bearing was replaced so I checked for heat damage on the block. The gaskets and seals were original w/ no leaking. Rides nice, even when I pulled a lawn tractor/trailer.

There's no replacement for displacement
By pete on 10/07/05 15:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab R/T Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

First of all, let me say, this is my second Dodge Dakota. And I have enjoyed this one just as much as my first. Second, to anyone who wants a truck that will always outperform not only the competition but your own expectations, this one is for you! My Dakota has exceptional ride and handling, especially for a truck with a short wheel base. The interior is comfortable with more leg and head room than other compact trucks, and me being 6' 2" that means alot. Also, I can certainly vouch for the reliability having put 142,000 combined miles on both my trucks. The only repair I've had was replacing a blower for the a/c once. However, the best feature of all... horsepower lots and lots of it!!

Underpowered Dakota
By bobby62914 on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

My 1998 Dodge Dakota with a four cylinder is terribly underpowered. Even negotiating a modest grade with the A/C running is impossible. It has no cupholders. It is poor visibility and is not fun, or easy, to drive.

375,000miles. No Overhaul
By Mike Shatto on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

3.9 V6 engine/auto-trans origonal. New limited-slip differental, cheaper than stock, 250,000mi. Uses Amsoil,oil analysis& bypass oil filters. 120lb compression. Courier use, 250-350mi per day. Ethinol in gas=2MPG less.Cloth seats look new. Killer heater A/C.

Great Buy
By thestuff on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LB

I've had my Dakota for over 3 years now and I love it. Value, power, everything is the best. I'd recommend this truck to anyone.