Used 1998 Dodge Dakota Sport Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

best truck ever!!!!
By 72 340 demon

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

ive owned this truck since 2001, with 24000 miles on it, since then ive only had to change the front break pads once. and a tune up. im currently at 123,000 miles runs and drives like the day i got it, i get 24 miles to the gallon, with the help of a tonneau cover, 3.9 magnum never lets me down on power. s-10s and rangers cant compare to the power.

Favorite Features

great styling, very reliable, when our other cars failed to run this truck always runs.

Suggested Improvements

none,

Vroom Vroom
By Clay

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it used with 80,000 miles and it still runs like new. This 3.18 magnum v8 will melt the tires :-)... Fuel economy is around 18 average, which is quite satisfactory for a mid- size v8 truck. What can I say. The power is amazing

Favorite Features

The Power is amazing. Rides very smooth.

Suggested Improvements

I would like a 5-speed manual more than a 4-speed automatic but auto is also good.

Dodge Rocks
By Krude 1966

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck brand new, ordered just the way I wanted. V6 , 5 speed manual tranny, sport edition 2wd. I bought it to haul firewood and it has hauled anything you can imagine. It now has over 120000 miles and the only major problem was replacing the tranny in the spring of '95. That has been my only complaint is shifting from 1st to 2nd is very clunky. It gets reasonable mileage of 22mpg on the highway and 18mpg in town. This truck will be in my possession until I die, a very worthwhile investment in my book.

Favorite Features

Bucket seats are very comfortable and lots of room under the hood for easy maintenance. Big smokey burnouts in the first 2 gears

Suggested Improvements

Smoother shifting would be nice

Dakota Owner for 6 years
By Jim

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I liked my Dodge Dakota before my extended warranty ran out. When the warranty expired I had a hard time understanding why when one small part fails you have to replace an entire module, e.g. The check engine light bulb when out and the way to fix it is to replace the entire circut board powering the odometer, speedometer, safter lights, temp, etc. The part must be bought through the dealer and is not less than $995 plus labor of taking the dashboard apart. And emissions will not pass me without the check engine bulb working. so now I'm stuck with a $1500 repair on a vehicle that only has a $4000 value. When will these designers wake up?

Favorite Features

Roomy and a reliable drive train

Suggested Improvements

Simplify the ability to make repairs without replacing high dollar parts.

Disappointing experience
By Eric

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Overall, a missed opportunity for Dodge to come up with a great truck. Paint and interior holding up well. Nice ergonomics in passenger compartment. Good size for work/commuter truck, but build quality too poor to recommend. Cab leaked through rear weld (fixed a couple of times under warranty, then on my dime), water pump went out, AC drain poorly designed causing condensate to drain into passenger compartment. Most significant were front end problems. Upper and lower ball joints replaced twice, now have replaced front steering mechanism. DC customer service non- existent. Fuel mileage acceptable on hwy, poor in town. I won't be looking at DC vehicles again, based on this experience.

Favorite Features

Size, interior/exterior durability and overall ergonomics.

Suggested Improvements

Engineering is poor, and reliability is unacceptable; better customer service from DC/Dodge.