Used 1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Overall Decent Car
By Brian

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Owned my pickup since 2009. Overall pleased, enough to keep it anyway. It will go a few years without needing any major repairs, and then several things will need work in short order. I've replaced fuel pump, exhaust system, distributor cap and associated parts, window wash pump, and brakes twice. So not bad, but then I have a load of small problems: check engine light's been on since 2010 (I was told it's due to a minor transmission issue that might cost a lot to fix with minor payoff), the ABS and emergency brake lights come on when I take a highway ramp (but no effect on driving or braking), the ceiling lining started to come loose two years ago, rust is bubbling the paint over the left rear wheel well (seems to be common for this model year), and most annoying of all, the springs supporting the driver's seat broke loose of their moorings which causes the seat to sag and the metal frame parts to poke me uncomfortably. And there doesn't seem to be an easy way to repair the seat and it's attached to the passenger seat & center console which will make replacement a major hassle.
On the other hand, I think it handles great, the brakes do not disappoint, the engine is fairly quiet and smooth, and I've driven it on several road-trips from 3,000 to 5,000 miles at a time without complaint. It has a light rear end, which can be a danger in rain or snow. I've found that tires with good traction will overcome handling problems in the rain, but if you live where it snows much, I would recommend 4WD. Basically, if you need a no-frills reliable vehicle and don't mind minor problems that crop up but won't interfere with driving function, you will likely find this truck to be acceptable.

Stay away from dodge
By celticstallion

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dodge has 113k miles and is ready for the grave. Despite me treating this truck gently it still wants to quit. Since I had it I have replaced the throttle body sensor, crankshaft sensor all relays, distributor with cap rotor, spark plugs and wires, ignition coil and fuel pump. So after replacing all this it still dies at unexpected times and once you fix one thing and think you have a handle on it something else will quit.It drives like crap its slow and the transmission is a 4 speed cheap piece of garbage. In my opinion the 6 cyl engine is useless because its so weak it struggles to move the truck. I cant imagine what a 4 banger would be like. Its just a poor design from top to bottom.

It looks kinda good

Engineer a vehicle that is reliable. So nearly everything needs improvement

Will Be Tough to Replace
By runnikee

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my truck with 40k miles on it in 2002 and it is still running like a champ.
I replaced the transmission after 150k miles, but that is the only major issue I've had with it.
I'm now at 235k miles on my truck and am having a hard time finding a new vehicle because I don't think I will ever get this type of value again.
Mileage is between 15.5 and 18 mph, depending on how I drive.
I have the 5.2L V8 (318) and couldn't be happier.
Change the oil, tires, and other basic maintenance and you'll have no issues.
Also, I've found through test-driving countless newer vehicles (cars and trucks), that most do not have as smooth of a ride as my truck does.

Reliability, power, value, does well in the snow for being RWD

My truck is 15 years old and has had one major issue ($1500 transmission change). There's not much to complain about there.

Awesome
By Mitch

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Although I am only 17 and only had the truck a few months i can't complain. I have driven many other trucks and cars and nothing compares. I enjoy the power, the comfort, the sleek look, and beautiful interior. The truck has 222k and i trust it more than a new car. Although the power steering leaks you can't complain with 220k. The engine is still full of life and power and the body is gorgeous except the dodge fade job on the roof. I don't foresee sale anytime soon. gas mileage may not be the best but if my pipes weren't loud it may help :)

power, interior, exterior

clearcoat, otherwise nothing worth the effort

best truck ever!!!!
By 72 340 demon

1998 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

ive owned this truck since 2001, with 24000 miles on it, since then ive only had to change the front break pads once. and a tune up. im currently at 123,000 miles runs and drives like the day i got it, i get 24 miles to the gallon, with the help of a tonneau cover, 3.9 magnum never lets me down on power. s-10s and rangers cant compare to the power.

great styling, very reliable, when our other cars failed to run this truck always runs.

none,