1998 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
best truck ever!!!!
By 72 340 demon on 01/15/10 12:55 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

ive owned this truck since 2001, with 24000 miles on it, since then ive only had to change the front break pads once. and a tune up. im currently at 123,000 miles runs and drives like the day i got it, i get 24 miles to the gallon, with the help of a tonneau cover, 3.9 magnum never lets me down on power. s-10s and rangers cant compare to the power.

Vroom Vroom
By Clay on 07/18/08 16:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it used with 80,000 miles and it still runs like new. This 3.18 magnum v8 will melt the tires :-)... Fuel economy is around 18 average, which is quite satisfactory for a mid- size v8 truck. What can I say. The power is amazing

Dodge Rocks
By Krude 1966 on 10/07/07 17:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck brand new, ordered just the way I wanted. V6 , 5 speed manual tranny, sport edition 2wd. I bought it to haul firewood and it has hauled anything you can imagine. It now has over 120000 miles and the only major problem was replacing the tranny in the spring of '95. That has been my only complaint is shifting from 1st to 2nd is very clunky. It gets reasonable mileage of 22mpg on the highway and 18mpg in town. This truck will be in my possession until I die, a very worthwhile investment in my book.

Dakota Owner for 6 years
By Jim on 05/25/06 09:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I liked my Dodge Dakota before my extended warranty ran out. When the warranty expired I had a hard time understanding why when one small part fails you have to replace an entire module, e.g. The check engine light bulb when out and the way to fix it is to replace the entire circut board powering the odometer, speedometer, safter lights, temp, etc. The part must be bought through the dealer and is not less than $995 plus labor of taking the dashboard apart. And emissions will not pass me without the check engine bulb working. so now I'm stuck with a $1500 repair on a vehicle that only has a $4000 value. When will these designers wake up?

Disappointing experience
By Eric on 12/04/05 12:40 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Overall, a missed opportunity for Dodge to come up with a great truck. Paint and interior holding up well. Nice ergonomics in passenger compartment. Good size for work/commuter truck, but build quality too poor to recommend. Cab leaked through rear weld (fixed a couple of times under warranty, then on my dime), water pump went out, AC drain poorly designed causing condensate to drain into passenger compartment. Most significant were front end problems. Upper and lower ball joints replaced twice, now have replaced front steering mechanism. DC customer service non- existent. Fuel mileage acceptable on hwy, poor in town. I won't be looking at DC vehicles again, based on this experience.

Great Vehicle
By Taz on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is one excellent truck. My wife and I both own one and they are the best trucks i have had so far. After a total of 100k between 2 trucks in less than 4 years. all trouble free.

Miss My Dodge
By Brian355 on 03/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I recently traded mine in and miss it already. It was a good truck but the extra cab wasn't quite enough. The rear bench seat is OK but not as OK as I had hoped when I bought the truck. The ride and performance are first rate for a pick-up. For the 50+ thousand miles I owned it, I only had to perform normal maintenance and replaced the tires. (The stock Goodyears really sucked.) There was only one recall during this time. If it wasn't for a growing family, I would have kept it 'til the doors fell off.