1998 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
not good
By wayne hersel on 06/08/09 19:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

truck is a V-6 and I have had nothing but problems. I will be driving along at 60 mph and it will die, sometimes backfire and then when I turn the key off sometimes wont start. I have replaced computer, coil, fuel pump, tune up, and numerous odds and ends they havent replaced and it continues to cut out. Has anyone else had this kind of problem. I now have more into in last year than it is worth.

Nothing but problems
By Disappointed on 05/07/08 14:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Trucks look great, but lack performance and reliability. Bought the truck 1 1/2 years ago with only 48,000 miles on it, today I have around 66,000 and have had to replace the transmission twice, the radiator, brakes, ball joints, heat. I bought the truck with high expectations and have been nothing but let down ever since the day I drove it off the lot.

Just good enough
By HoosierDaddy on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The brakes have always left me with the feeling that they are not adequate for this vehicle. I have to use considerable leg strength to stop quickly. There has been a strange thump/jerk in the steering wheel ever since I have had the truck and has gotten worse over time. I have had the front end aligned and checked several times. Steering is awful, the truck wonders while going down the road but everything is within "tolerance". Power is great and fuel economy is average, 15-17 mpg.

Great truck
By Stanley on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Truck has performed exceptionally well. The V-8 has plenty of power and never strains in any situation. Mileage is not great 13-17 but it is a truck and V- 8. Just the right size also.I recommend it highly.

Good looking piece of ...
By Michael Mazzio on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

After the first few thousand miles replaced the #1 spark plug every month or so(cracked). Strange clunking sound in steering. At 10000 replaced the front brakes, then again every 10-16000 miles. At 18000 replaced rear shocks. At 37000, just out of warranty, Transmission rebuilt for the first time. At 44000, rear rebuilt. At 46000, lower and upper ball joints and outer tie rods replaced. Odds and ends replaced until 96000 where the transmission was rebuilt a second time, transfer case, back-up light switch and have new seals put in steering box. I'm at 166000 now, upper ball joints and transfer case needs to be rebuilt again. One good thing, truck still runs.

great overall
By nblett on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is an all around great automobile. I have no complaints and will be diving it untill the doors fall off.

Perfect 10 baby
By adam on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Very reliable, never fails to please me. Never found a surface of road that the tires wouldnt turn over from. Its a real head turner.

Rides, and Looks GREAT!!!!
By Swenson on 03/14/02 00:26 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is near perfect. I love the looks and handling. I can push, pull, haul, and drag just about everything. This truck is very hard to get stuck. Very fun to drive. Great for Hunting.

Looks and Feels Great But Quality Sucks
By Schmutte on 03/05/02 11:28 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck starts falling apart at the seems after 50K miles. It drives great and is very comfortable, but poor quality. THANKS UAW!!!! The UAW has turned me off from ever buying another American car.