Used 1998 Dodge Dakota SLT Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Overall Decent Car
By Brian

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Owned my pickup since 2009. Overall pleased, enough to keep it anyway. It will go a few years without needing any major repairs, and then several things will need work in short order. I've replaced fuel pump, exhaust system, distributor cap and associated parts, window wash pump, and brakes twice. So not bad, but then I have a load of small problems: check engine light's been on since 2010 (I was told it's due to a minor transmission issue that might cost a lot to fix with minor payoff), the ABS and emergency brake lights come on when I take a highway ramp (but no effect on driving or braking), the ceiling lining started to come loose two years ago, rust is bubbling the paint over the left rear wheel well (seems to be common for this model year), and most annoying of all, the springs supporting the driver's seat broke loose of their moorings which causes the seat to sag and the metal frame parts to poke me uncomfortably. And there doesn't seem to be an easy way to repair the seat and it's attached to the passenger seat & center console which will make replacement a major hassle.
On the other hand, I think it handles great, the brakes do not disappoint, the engine is fairly quiet and smooth, and I've driven it on several road-trips from 3,000 to 5,000 miles at a time without complaint. It has a light rear end, which can be a danger in rain or snow. I've found that tires with good traction will overcome handling problems in the rain, but if you live where it snows much, I would recommend 4WD. Basically, if you need a no-frills reliable vehicle and don't mind minor problems that crop up but won't interfere with driving function, you will likely find this truck to be acceptable.

Nicest Dodge Ive Ever Driven
By Ralph

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have never driven a 5 speed standard 318 before this truck. I have to say its got some jam. And the throttle response is great. The body has great flowing lines that are arrow dynamic, unlike the new Dakotas that seem square. If i ever decide to buy another truck, it is gonna be a Dakota.

Comes nicely equipped with all the options i need. 5 spd stick, 5.2 ltr. Trl towing package with trans temp. Well what can i say its fully loaded.

Not sure what the dealer was thinking for a clutch, but I've found the pedal if not moved in a smooth motion, the truck likes to jerk back and forth, till u try again. Hydraulics? Better fuel economy would be nice as its only a mid sized truck.

We love it!
By Graham

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

We have 175,000 miles on it, have driven it fairly hard, pulled trailers with it, towed a large trailer with a bulldozer on it, etc, and we have no complaints. We got our money's worth! 318 5.2L V8 should never have been discontinued. We have just (3 weeks ago) put a rear end in it, and that might have been damaged in an accident a few years ago. No engine/tranny trouble (no rebuilds or repairs on either). The only things that have gone wrong are the ball joint (and I hear those go bad regularly, but Dodge has made parts available so you don't have to buy a whole new assembly) and the AC evaporator. We tell people we're planning to give this to our first-born, who hasn't even been born yet!

318 V8, solid build (was hit in the rear end at a stop light so hard that my seat broke and wouldn't stay up, yet the damage to the rear was less than $2000!), optional wide mirrors for towing, fuel economy not bad (15-16 mpg), all electronics and controls still work perfectly, except light switch.

Ball joint redesign (little too late now), better headlight switch (same design since the 70's), better design for the electric window and lock panel/housing, separate the vent/recirculate function on its own knob. Sorry, these are petty, I know, but they asked.

Peppy Mid-Size Machine (V8)
By Joe

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Now that I have the Dakota I am very happy that I bought it. My friends always talk about their fast little cars, and to be in my 5.2 and beating all these sporty little cars makes me laugh so hard. They are relatively easy to work on and I love punching it when I am going slower than 40 mph because getting it to chirp is sweet. The Dakota to me is a fine truck I would buy them for a long time but only from 1997-1999 because of the 5.2 and body style because the new body style to me isn't that good looking.

Acceleration, power, exterior/interior looks, and the ability to roast them without a problem

Fuel economy, and if you're going to put infinty speakers in it make them somewhat good speakers. Another thing put a limited slip in there stock!

Dodge Dakota the Best Mid Size Truck
By justin

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I think it is the best mid size truck you can buy. I have hade no major problems with it. It does use a lot of gas, but with a few mods and laying off the gas, the mileage goes up.

Body

More horsepower, needs a 5 or 6 speed automatic transmission.