1998 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Nicest Dodge Ive Ever Driven
By Ralph on 04/14/08 17:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have never driven a 5 speed standard 318 before this truck. I have to say its got some jam. And the throttle response is great. The body has great flowing lines that are arrow dynamic, unlike the new Dakotas that seem square. If i ever decide to buy another truck, it is gonna be a Dakota.

We love it!
By Graham on 03/17/08 20:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

We have 175,000 miles on it, have driven it fairly hard, pulled trailers with it, towed a large trailer with a bulldozer on it, etc, and we have no complaints. We got our money's worth! 318 5.2L V8 should never have been discontinued. We have just (3 weeks ago) put a rear end in it, and that might have been damaged in an accident a few years ago. No engine/tranny trouble (no rebuilds or repairs on either). The only things that have gone wrong are the ball joint (and I hear those go bad regularly, but Dodge has made parts available so you don't have to buy a whole new assembly) and the AC evaporator. We tell people we're planning to give this to our first-born, who hasn't even been born yet!

Peppy Mid-Size Machine (V8)
By Joe on 08/15/07 20:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Now that I have the Dakota I am very happy that I bought it. My friends always talk about their fast little cars, and to be in my 5.2 and beating all these sporty little cars makes me laugh so hard. They are relatively easy to work on and I love punching it when I am going slower than 40 mph because getting it to chirp is sweet. The Dakota to me is a fine truck I would buy them for a long time but only from 1997-1999 because of the 5.2 and body style because the new body style to me isn't that good looking.

Dodge Dakota the Best Mid Size Truck
By justin on 04/30/07 11:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I think it is the best mid size truck you can buy. I have hade no major problems with it. It does use a lot of gas, but with a few mods and laying off the gas, the mileage goes up.

Excellent truck
By sgtbryan on 08/11/06 07:01 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck in 1998 with 14,000 miles on it. It now has 234,888 with the same engine and transmission. I took care of the truck by having the oil and transmissions fuel changed. This was the life of the truck. It has never left me on the road nor given me any problems.

Don't Make the Mistake
By Unsatified fool on 03/11/05 18:31 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Poorly engineered mechanically. Gas mileage was my first disappointment, only about 1mile/gal better than full sized trucks. First thermostate lasted 11,000 miles. At 29,000 miles a ball joint required replacement. The factory installed CD quit at 45000 miles and the cup holder spring broke. Air bag module went out at 54000. Sensor for the rear brakes out at 72000. At 76000 the fan clutch, belt tensioner and water pump required replacement. In comparing this truck to previously owned Ford and Toyota small pickups I vote thumbs down.

2 Dr SLT Extended Cab Standard bed
By notnamedjess on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I just sold my Dakota after 6 years. Over all I really liked my truck and was proud of it. It was fun to drive and anyone that drove it liked it. It was comfortable with plenty of room in the front seat for passengers but the back seat was not comfortable for adults. The bed was a good size for anything I needed. I got an average of 18mpg, up to 23 and as low as 9mpg when pulling my boat.

Dodge Clunk
By mseeley on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

In short, the most unreliable vehicle ever. From the beginning, quarterly trips to the dealership. At low mileage, problems of all sorts. Electrical, water pump, catalytic converter, alternator, 3 thermostats, starter coil, tie rods, steering linkage...Customer Care at Daimler/Chrysler blows too.

superior ride
By kingmacaw on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

45000 miles and only one warranty repair ever needed-cruise control once went out. replaced shocks w/beltech nitros to stiffen up ride!

Dakota mid size is perfect fit
By Me in Midwest on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Looked at F150, looked at Ranger. Looked over the Ram 1500 (big), but found the Dakota to be the "right size." Comfortable interior, great utility, attractive to look at.