1998 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Awesome
By Mitch on 08/16/10 18:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Although I am only 17 and only had the truck a few months i can't complain. I have driven many other trucks and cars and nothing compares. I enjoy the power, the comfort, the sleek look, and beautiful interior. The truck has 222k and i trust it more than a new car. Although the power steering leaks you can't complain with 220k. The engine is still full of life and power and the body is gorgeous except the dodge fade job on the roof. I don't foresee sale anytime soon. gas mileage may not be the best but if my pipes weren't loud it may help :)

Love my truck but mileage stinks
By Broken Hearted on 07/01/09 20:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

To start with I love my truck but milage stinks. I only get 10 to 12 miles to the gallon not 15 like it say in this review. In the last four years that I have owned this truck I have put three raditators, a water pump, new heater and thermisate. Also problems with transmission locking up in reverse. But I still love my truck and still feel it is worth more than the retail value they are listing for it.

Poor Paint
By Poor Paint on 01/02/08 10:47 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I ordered the truck with everything I wanted and was blown away when I went to the dealership to pick it up. So far, overall, it's been a very good reliable truck. The 318 V8 has plenty of power, but with any V8(and 4WD larger tires), fuel economy is poor. The interior is functional, durable and neat. Mechanically, it's been solid overall. I've had multiple ball joints replaced. No major problems with mine other than delamination of the paint which is very common for this Dakota. I've seen many others with the same problem.

Mean Green
By Chris on 11/13/05 10:58 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

If you are a Dodge, and truck lover, consider the Dakota. It is easy to park, and fund to drive. However, only look at the V-8; the 4x4 truck is heavy, and needs the bigger engine. The paint quaility, is great, and the interior is comfortable. The transmission shifts a little slow for me, however it is designed for towing. Once up to speed it does just fine. The gas mileage is horrible, but it is a truck. If you don't step on the gas too much and drive at a reasonable speed the mileage is much better. Consider the mods below; you will find these changes make the truck much better. I love the 5.2 ltr. The 2000- up 4.7 is a step back for the Dakota. Last, check the ball joints, tranny, and brakes

Dodge Stinks
By Grayson on 07/29/05 06:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is the second Dodge Dakota Sport I have owned. The first one was a 1995. I must have checked my brain at the door to buy another one. If I hadn't paid it off, I'd ditch it in a heartbeat. This one has all of the same issues the first one had under a different body: -A/C died in year 4 and continues to back up into the interior to this day. No one will fix it; they just blow out the tube and tell me to come back in 3 months. I tell them money is no object and they still won't fix it. When the dash was apart to fix the A/C itself, they still didn't fix it -Door locks start to stick in year 3 -Front Ball joints go in year 4 -Catalytic converter toast in year 3 -Water pump gone in year 3

My First Car
By mrken3235 on 11/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Ok well it wasn't really my first car, but my second to first. I love my truck. I have the 5.2 liter V-8 that will do anything you want it to, but will drink gas. I used to go from southwest Michigan to mid Minnesota quite frequently. The trip would cost $100 just in gas one way! Oh well, what do you expect with a big V-8 though? I've had my share of problems with it. Although I found out that it had been in an accident prior to my ownership of it. I would definitely recomend one of these and would probably get a new 2005 if they weren't so ugly and if they had the hemi.

BAD EXPERIENCE
By KIDZROCK4 on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

5.9 LITER ENGINE BLEW AT 96,000 MILES WITH NO WARNING THINK IT WAS OIL PUMP FAILURE. WAS DRIVING 65MPH DOWN A HIGHWAY WHEN CHECK GAUGES LIGHT CAME ON. REST IS STATED ABOVE. DODGE WILL DO NOTHING ABOUT THIS MISFORTUNE. THEY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND VEHICLE. WILL NOT ANSWER ANY OF MY QUESTIONS. I WILL NEVER BUY A DODGE PRODUCT AGAIN

130,000 miles and its time to go
By Randall on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Well, with a baby now and not enough room in the ext. cab for it its time for a quad cab. My truck has been put threw hard driving and just loves to work. What is going on with the ball joints? Replaced every 30k miles. bottoms are beefy but the tops are like a golf ball. Too bad you need to break the bottoms to replace the tops. When i nigotiate my new price, I will want a 100k mile warrentee on the ball joints. Would I recomend this truck to someone? Answer...yes

It's my baby
By Akula on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my Dodge in Dec of 1997 and have loved it. tons of room inside and lots of places to put stuff. Never had any major problems with it and have over 80,000 as of 08/02.