Used 1998 Dodge Dakota Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Stay away from dodge
By celticstallion

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dodge has 113k miles and is ready for the grave. Despite me treating this truck gently it still wants to quit. Since I had it I have replaced the throttle body sensor, crankshaft sensor all relays, distributor with cap rotor, spark plugs and wires, ignition coil and fuel pump. So after replacing all this it still dies at unexpected times and once you fix one thing and think you have a handle on it something else will quit.It drives like crap its slow and the transmission is a 4 speed cheap piece of garbage. In my opinion the 6 cyl engine is useless because its so weak it struggles to move the truck. I cant imagine what a 4 banger would be like. Its just a poor design from top to bottom.

Favorite Features

It looks kinda good

Suggested Improvements

Engineer a vehicle that is reliable. So nearly everything needs improvement

Awesome
By Mitch

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Although I am only 17 and only had the truck a few months i can't complain. I have driven many other trucks and cars and nothing compares. I enjoy the power, the comfort, the sleek look, and beautiful interior. The truck has 222k and i trust it more than a new car. Although the power steering leaks you can't complain with 220k. The engine is still full of life and power and the body is gorgeous except the dodge fade job on the roof. I don't foresee sale anytime soon. gas mileage may not be the best but if my pipes weren't loud it may help :)

Favorite Features

power, interior, exterior

Suggested Improvements

clearcoat, otherwise nothing worth the effort

Love my truck but mileage stinks
By Broken Hearted

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

To start with I love my truck but milage stinks. I only get 10 to 12 miles to the gallon not 15 like it say in this review. In the last four years that I have owned this truck I have put three raditators, a water pump, new heater and thermisate. Also problems with transmission locking up in reverse. But I still love my truck and still feel it is worth more than the retail value they are listing for it.

Favorite Features

Dodges has the best inter., more room and rides better than other trucks. Rides more like a car.

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve the transmission and gas mileage.

Poor Paint
By Poor Paint

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I ordered the truck with everything I wanted and was blown away when I went to the dealership to pick it up. So far, overall, it's been a very good reliable truck. The 318 V8 has plenty of power, but with any V8(and 4WD larger tires), fuel economy is poor. The interior is functional, durable and neat. Mechanically, it's been solid overall. I've had multiple ball joints replaced. No major problems with mine other than delamination of the paint which is very common for this Dakota. I've seen many others with the same problem.

Favorite Features

Love the exterior. Best looking Dakota yet. The newest Dakotas are unappealing. Hate the fuel economy at 13.6 mpg/hwy, but love having the power and durability of a V8. With gas t $3.00+, I'll eventually get a 4 cylinder car and keep the truck for home use.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler needs to take responsibilty for the paint issue. They repainted problem areas when I still had an active warranty, but they declined any further repairs when the warranty expired. The paint problem started only 3 years after it was built and it continues to spread.

Mean Green
By Chris

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

If you are a Dodge, and truck lover, consider the Dakota. It is easy to park, and fund to drive. However, only look at the V-8; the 4x4 truck is heavy, and needs the bigger engine. The paint quaility, is great, and the interior is comfortable. The transmission shifts a little slow for me, however it is designed for towing. Once up to speed it does just fine. The gas mileage is horrible, but it is a truck. If you don't step on the gas too much and drive at a reasonable speed the mileage is much better. Consider the mods below; you will find these changes make the truck much better. I love the 5.2 ltr. The 2000- up 4.7 is a step back for the Dakota. Last, check the ball joints, tranny, and brakes

Favorite Features

Engine Power (5.2 ltr.), Easy to modify, High fun factor and gets noticed, Can haul stuff and travel in comfort, The size of the truck makes it more manageable than a full size truck, a lot of bang for your buck if you buy used, the 2000-up body style is a little bland compared to the 1998- 9

Suggested Improvements

Better speakers (trash the infinity speakers), Edelbrock shocks, K&N intake system, headers and catback system, performance chip, better plugs and wires, and 31" tires