1998 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Will Be Tough to Replace
By runnikee on 04/12/13 06:57 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my truck with 40k miles on it in 2002 and it is still running like a champ. I replaced the transmission after 150k miles, but that is the only major issue I've had with it. I'm now at 235k miles on my truck and am having a hard time finding a new vehicle because I don't think I will ever get this type of value again. Mileage is between 15.5 and 18 mph, depending on how I drive. I have the 5.2L V8 (318) and couldn't be happier. Change the oil, tires, and other basic maintenance and you'll have no issues. Also, I've found through test-driving countless newer vehicles (cars and trucks), that most do not have as smooth of a ride as my truck does.

Best Truck I've Owned
By Chris on 11/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab LB

Bought this truck from my father in late 2002. Had it until I sold it in Summer of 2009. It had 218,000 miles on it when I sold and was still running great. Never had to do more than change the brakes, tires and oil. Started to rust a bit at the end, but that was expected.

Great Pick Up Truck
By WhiteWonder on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab LB

My Mom purchased this truck and it is simply amazing. We have an automatic and even the auto is quick. The interior is comfortable with a spacious armrest for even more comfortable driving. The sound system that comes stock is amazing and sounds great with tapes or just good old FM/AM radio. The drive is smooth and it absorbs bumps easily. We have had problems with the AC, but that's normal and our tranny line busted. AC get's pricey obviously, but a simple hose is nothing to repair. Fantastic truck I would recommend it to anybody!

Awesome
By Mitch on 08/16/10 18:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Although I am only 17 and only had the truck a few months i can't complain. I have driven many other trucks and cars and nothing compares. I enjoy the power, the comfort, the sleek look, and beautiful interior. The truck has 222k and i trust it more than a new car. Although the power steering leaks you can't complain with 220k. The engine is still full of life and power and the body is gorgeous except the dodge fade job on the roof. I don't foresee sale anytime soon. gas mileage may not be the best but if my pipes weren't loud it may help :)

best truck ever!!!!
By 72 340 demon on 01/15/10 12:55 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

ive owned this truck since 2001, with 24000 miles on it, since then ive only had to change the front break pads once. and a tune up. im currently at 123,000 miles runs and drives like the day i got it, i get 24 miles to the gallon, with the help of a tonneau cover, 3.9 magnum never lets me down on power. s-10s and rangers cant compare to the power.

Love my truck but mileage stinks
By Broken Hearted on 07/01/09 20:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

To start with I love my truck but milage stinks. I only get 10 to 12 miles to the gallon not 15 like it say in this review. In the last four years that I have owned this truck I have put three raditators, a water pump, new heater and thermisate. Also problems with transmission locking up in reverse. But I still love my truck and still feel it is worth more than the retail value they are listing for it.

not good
By wayne hersel on 06/08/09 19:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

truck is a V-6 and I have had nothing but problems. I will be driving along at 60 mph and it will die, sometimes backfire and then when I turn the key off sometimes wont start. I have replaced computer, coil, fuel pump, tune up, and numerous odds and ends they havent replaced and it continues to cut out. Has anyone else had this kind of problem. I now have more into in last year than it is worth.

Vroom Vroom
By Clay on 07/18/08 16:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it used with 80,000 miles and it still runs like new. This 3.18 magnum v8 will melt the tires :-)... Fuel economy is around 18 average, which is quite satisfactory for a mid- size v8 truck. What can I say. The power is amazing

Nothing but problems
By Disappointed on 05/07/08 14:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Trucks look great, but lack performance and reliability. Bought the truck 1 1/2 years ago with only 48,000 miles on it, today I have around 66,000 and have had to replace the transmission twice, the radiator, brakes, ball joints, heat. I bought the truck with high expectations and have been nothing but let down ever since the day I drove it off the lot.

Nicest Dodge Ive Ever Driven
By Ralph on 04/14/08 17:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have never driven a 5 speed standard 318 before this truck. I have to say its got some jam. And the throttle response is great. The body has great flowing lines that are arrow dynamic, unlike the new Dakotas that seem square. If i ever decide to buy another truck, it is gonna be a Dakota.