Used 1998 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Stay away from dodge
By celticstallion

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dodge has 113k miles and is ready for the grave. Despite me treating this truck gently it still wants to quit. Since I had it I have replaced the throttle body sensor, crankshaft sensor all relays, distributor with cap rotor, spark plugs and wires, ignition coil and fuel pump. So after replacing all this it still dies at unexpected times and once you fix one thing and think you have a handle on it something else will quit.It drives like crap its slow and the transmission is a 4 speed cheap piece of garbage. In my opinion the 6 cyl engine is useless because its so weak it struggles to move the truck. I cant imagine what a 4 banger would be like. Its just a poor design from top to bottom.

Favorite Features

It looks kinda good

Suggested Improvements

Engineer a vehicle that is reliable. So nearly everything needs improvement

Will Be Tough to Replace
By runnikee

1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my truck with 40k miles on it in 2002 and it is still running like a champ. I replaced the transmission after 150k miles, but that is the only major issue I've had with it. I'm now at 235k miles on my truck and am having a hard time finding a new vehicle because I don't think I will ever get this type of value again. Mileage is between 15.5 and 18 mph, depending on how I drive. I have the 5.2L V8 (318) and couldn't be happier. Change the oil, tires, and other basic maintenance and you'll have no issues. Also, I've found through test-driving countless newer vehicles (cars and trucks), that most do not have as smooth of a ride as my truck does.

Favorite Features

Reliability, power, value, does well in the snow for being RWD

Suggested Improvements

My truck is 15 years old and has had one major issue ($1500 transmission change). There's not much to complain about there.

Best Truck I've Owned
By Chris

1998 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab LB

Bought this truck from my father in late 2002. Had it until I sold it in Summer of 2009. It had 218,000 miles on it when I sold and was still running great. Never had to do more than change the brakes, tires and oil. Started to rust a bit at the end, but that was expected.

Great Pick Up Truck
By WhiteWonder

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab LB

My Mom purchased this truck and it is simply amazing. We have an automatic and even the auto is quick. The interior is comfortable with a spacious armrest for even more comfortable driving. The sound system that comes stock is amazing and sounds great with tapes or just good old FM/AM radio. The drive is smooth and it absorbs bumps easily. We have had problems with the AC, but that's normal and our tranny line busted. AC get's pricey obviously, but a simple hose is nothing to repair. Fantastic truck I would recommend it to anybody!

Favorite Features

Sound system, smooth ride, comfortable seats, quiet interior and exterior, very sleek design. It also has good crash test ratings. (It's a Dodge and they are so sturdy/heavy that in order lower the vehicle you have to pay extra for suspension.)

Suggested Improvements

If the AC is a problem in other models of the same year, then AC work. Other than that it's a great vehicle.

Awesome
By Mitch

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Although I am only 17 and only had the truck a few months i can't complain. I have driven many other trucks and cars and nothing compares. I enjoy the power, the comfort, the sleek look, and beautiful interior. The truck has 222k and i trust it more than a new car. Although the power steering leaks you can't complain with 220k. The engine is still full of life and power and the body is gorgeous except the dodge fade job on the roof. I don't foresee sale anytime soon. gas mileage may not be the best but if my pipes weren't loud it may help :)

Favorite Features

power, interior, exterior

Suggested Improvements

clearcoat, otherwise nothing worth the effort