Used 1998 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Overall Decent Car
By Brian

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Owned my pickup since 2009. Overall pleased, enough to keep it anyway. It will go a few years without needing any major repairs, and then several things will need work in short order. I've replaced fuel pump, exhaust system, distributor cap and associated parts, window wash pump, and brakes twice. So not bad, but then I have a load of small problems: check engine light's been on since 2010 (I was told it's due to a minor transmission issue that might cost a lot to fix with minor payoff), the ABS and emergency brake lights come on when I take a highway ramp (but no effect on driving or braking), the ceiling lining started to come loose two years ago, rust is bubbling the paint over the left rear wheel well (seems to be common for this model year), and most annoying of all, the springs supporting the driver's seat broke loose of their moorings which causes the seat to sag and the metal frame parts to poke me uncomfortably. And there doesn't seem to be an easy way to repair the seat and it's attached to the passenger seat & center console which will make replacement a major hassle. On the other hand, I think it handles great, the brakes do not disappoint, the engine is fairly quiet and smooth, and I've driven it on several road-trips from 3,000 to 5,000 miles at a time without complaint. It has a light rear end, which can be a danger in rain or snow. I've found that tires with good traction will overcome handling problems in the rain, but if you live where it snows much, I would recommend 4WD. Basically, if you need a no-frills reliable vehicle and don't mind minor problems that crop up but won't interfere with driving function, you will likely find this truck to be acceptable.

Stay away from dodge
By celticstallion

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dodge has 113k miles and is ready for the grave. Despite me treating this truck gently it still wants to quit. Since I had it I have replaced the throttle body sensor, crankshaft sensor all relays, distributor with cap rotor, spark plugs and wires, ignition coil and fuel pump. So after replacing all this it still dies at unexpected times and once you fix one thing and think you have a handle on it something else will quit.It drives like crap its slow and the transmission is a 4 speed cheap piece of garbage. In my opinion the 6 cyl engine is useless because its so weak it struggles to move the truck. I cant imagine what a 4 banger would be like. Its just a poor design from top to bottom.

It looks kinda good

Engineer a vehicle that is reliable. So nearly everything needs improvement

Will Be Tough to Replace
By runnikee

1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my truck with 40k miles on it in 2002 and it is still running like a champ. I replaced the transmission after 150k miles, but that is the only major issue I've had with it. I'm now at 235k miles on my truck and am having a hard time finding a new vehicle because I don't think I will ever get this type of value again. Mileage is between 15.5 and 18 mph, depending on how I drive. I have the 5.2L V8 (318) and couldn't be happier. Change the oil, tires, and other basic maintenance and you'll have no issues. Also, I've found through test-driving countless newer vehicles (cars and trucks), that most do not have as smooth of a ride as my truck does.

Reliability, power, value, does well in the snow for being RWD

My truck is 15 years old and has had one major issue ($1500 transmission change). There's not much to complain about there.

Best Truck I've Owned
By Chris

1998 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab LB

Bought this truck from my father in late 2002. Had it until I sold it in Summer of 2009. It had 218,000 miles on it when I sold and was still running great. Never had to do more than change the brakes, tires and oil. Started to rust a bit at the end, but that was expected.

Great Pick Up Truck
By WhiteWonder

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab LB

My Mom purchased this truck and it is simply amazing. We have an automatic and even the auto is quick. The interior is comfortable with a spacious armrest for even more comfortable driving. The sound system that comes stock is amazing and sounds great with tapes or just good old FM/AM radio. The drive is smooth and it absorbs bumps easily. We have had problems with the AC, but that's normal and our tranny line busted. AC get's pricey obviously, but a simple hose is nothing to repair. Fantastic truck I would recommend it to anybody!

Sound system, smooth ride, comfortable seats, quiet interior and exterior, very sleek design. It also has good crash test ratings. (It's a Dodge and they are so sturdy/heavy that in order lower the vehicle you have to pay extra for suspension.)

If the AC is a problem in other models of the same year, then AC work. Other than that it's a great vehicle.

• SUV