Just bought a '97 in 2013
By sstevek on
1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB
My model is actually a Sport 2WD 3.9 5 speed manual that I bought with about 102,500 miles. I get plenty of snow in my area, but the truck is for occasional use. I wanted a truck with a V6 and a manual transmission, something not easy to find. I think the V6 with the manual is a great combination - and a rare find. The regular cab is a little tight for me - but that's ok. I do enjoy driving the truck. It rides well, and the interior is solid. With the windows up it's quiet - there's not one rattle in the truck. My first fuel calculation, highway and around town was 18.8 mpg. Very satisfied with that. I feel good about this truck.
Favorite Features
V6, manual transmission. The V6 sounds good and has ample power. Good size, not many true mid-size trucks available. Fuel economy - styling of the second generation Dakota. Easily transports a lawn tractor. Solid build quality.
Suggested Improvements
For what I paid and it's intended use I have none to suggest. I'm surprised they're no longer in production, also the case with other manufacturer's smaller pickup trucks.