Used 1997 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Dakota
By webert1

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Vehicle rides well and is more than adequate for hauling stuff around. Many trips to Home Depot and not one thing that could not be hauled home. I would recommend this truck for the average person who needs something to do the light household chores that need to be done. I occasionally tow a camper, but would not recommend it for long trips and hilly terrain. The truck seems to work a lot when you are pulling a camper.

I like the body style and its height above the ground. By putting some weight in the back, it will go through any snow conditions with no problems.

I would like to see a little better gas mileage.

Great truck!
By BobG

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This has been the best truck I've owned of three. The performance is wonderful, but at the price of gas, mileage isn't great (15 mpg). It rides like a car, and is both quiet and comfortable. I love this truck and I'll probably drive it till the wheels fall off!

Performance, comfort

Better gas mileage would be a big plus.

Great truck!
By BobG

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This has been the best truck I've owned of three. The performance is wonderful, but at the price of gas mileage (15 mpg) is not so hot. It rides like a car and is both quiet and comfortable. I love this truck and I'll probably drive it till the wheels fall off!

Performance, comfort

Better gas mileage would be a big plus.

Awesome Truck
By the_koof

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is my first vehicle and am approaching 190,000 miles with relatively trouble free use. Only problems so far have been the water pump giving out, dirty sensors, and the power steering pump also giving out due to an accident early in the truck's life. Other than that it has been trouble free. I absolutely love the truck and will buy another when this one gives out except I would opt for the 318 V8 as the 3.9L V6 is gutless.

Exterior design, the whole interior, Infinity sound system, everything. The perfect truck. The 4WD is especially fun in snow.

Better fuel economy. Come on I have a V6 and I get just 16 mpg? I drive decent too, no full throttle blasts. The truck also needs better cupholders as I have spilled a few drinks by just taking a turn a little faster than normal.

One Awesome Truck
By the_koof

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is one tough little truck. This is my first vehicle and I have beaten on it even though it had 174,000 miles on it when I got it. Now it has about 190,000 and its still running like a champ! It only has a V6 so it is not very fast and I wish it had the 318 V8. Has very rarely let me down. Only parts that have failed are the power steering pump (was going out for a while after an accident early on in its life), the water pump and dirty sensors. Other than that, extremely reliable and very recommended. Never had a transmission problem either.

The whole thing, especially the body design, seats and stereo. The 4WD is especially fun even though it can't do much serious off roading since it is underpowered.

Make a more fuel efficent engine! I keep my foot out of it and the 3.9L Magnum V6 only gets 16 mpg. Even though it has a lot of miles on it I shouldn't have that crappy of mileage.

• SUV