1997 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Dakota
By webert1 on 03/23/05 19:36 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Vehicle rides well and is more than adequate for hauling stuff around. Many trips to Home Depot and not one thing that could not be hauled home. I would recommend this truck for the average person who needs something to do the light household chores that need to be done. I occasionally tow a camper, but would not recommend it for long trips and hilly terrain. The truck seems to work a lot when you are pulling a camper.

Great truck!
By BobG on 02/08/05 16:03 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This has been the best truck I've owned of three. The performance is wonderful, but at the price of gas, mileage isn't great (15 mpg). It rides like a car, and is both quiet and comfortable. I love this truck and I'll probably drive it till the wheels fall off!

Great truck!
By BobG on 02/08/05 16:03 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This has been the best truck I've owned of three. The performance is wonderful, but at the price of gas mileage (15 mpg) is not so hot. It rides like a car and is both quiet and comfortable. I love this truck and I'll probably drive it till the wheels fall off!

Awesome Truck
By the_koof on 01/30/05 15:02 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is my first vehicle and am approaching 190,000 miles with relatively trouble free use. Only problems so far have been the water pump giving out, dirty sensors, and the power steering pump also giving out due to an accident early in the truck's life. Other than that it has been trouble free. I absolutely love the truck and will buy another when this one gives out except I would opt for the 318 V8 as the 3.9L V6 is gutless.

One Awesome Truck
By the_koof on 01/15/05 21:44 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is one tough little truck. This is my first vehicle and I have beaten on it even though it had 174,000 miles on it when I got it. Now it has about 190,000 and its still running like a champ! It only has a V6 so it is not very fast and I wish it had the 318 V8. Has very rarely let me down. Only parts that have failed are the power steering pump (was going out for a while after an accident early on in its life), the water pump and dirty sensors. Other than that, extremely reliable and very recommended. Never had a transmission problem either.

Probelms, problems, problems
By scott on 12/10/04 10:53 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

When I purchased this vehicle I really thought that it would be a winner. In the last year I have had one problem after another and have given up on it and traded it in. At the time I traded it in it has the following problems. No heat, no air conditioning, lifters knocking, transmission slipping, brakes. I will say I always changed oil every 3000 miles and had all other fluids changed every 20000 - 25000 miles. I figured that to make it correct it would cost well over $5000. I realize that brakes are an item that need reolacing from time to time but to only have 80000 miles on the vihicle and have so many expensive problems tells me that these vehicles have serious reliability issues.

Dodge Dakota
By KenR on 09/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had my Dodge Dakota in the shop numerous times and nine of those times where for design flaws. I have only been able to receive compensation on one items, the misalaignment of the front end at time if manufacture.

think before you buy regular cab
By ems on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

it's been a good truck for the 6 months I've owned it. Beware of ball-joint issues in the 97-02 models... the 00-02 seem to be the worst, but mine needed all four ball joints before 100k... they aren't cheap either, total bill was $1500. The truck has plenty of power with the 318 (5.2) and the transmission has been smooth shifting... but the engine does have idle issues, make sure you start the truck COLD as that's when they tend to show up. Would I buy it again? Probably, but I'd get the club or quad cab!

got to love dodge!
By schwarz drache on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Me being a dodge fan I have always wanted a truck like this and now that I have I couldn't be happier. I love my truck, when i'm driving it I feel like i'm on top of the world. I couldn't possibly ask for more in a truck!

Good for the first five years
By Rosemountguy on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

After my initial purchase and subsequent visits to the dealer for various quality control problems, the truck worked very well for three years. Shortly after this a series of problems has made me question my purchase of a Chrysler product. Three sets fo brakes in less than 75,000 miles, various electrical gremlins, suspension problems, and cracked exhaust studs have jaded my initial opinion of the vehicle. The recent condition of peeling paint has made me consider selling the vehicle and purchasing one of foriegn manufacture.