Used 1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Just bought a '97 in 2013
By sstevek

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

My model is actually a Sport 2WD 3.9 5 speed manual that I bought with about 102,500 miles. I get plenty of snow in my area, but the truck is for occasional use. I wanted a truck with a V6 and a manual transmission, something not easy to find. I think the V6 with the manual is a great combination - and a rare find. The regular cab is a little tight for me - but that's ok. I do enjoy driving the truck. It rides well, and the interior is solid. With the windows up it's quiet - there's not one rattle in the truck. My first fuel calculation, highway and around town was 18.8 mpg. Very satisfied with that. I feel good about this truck.

Favorite Features

V6, manual transmission. The V6 sounds good and has ample power. Good size, not many true mid-size trucks available. Fuel economy - styling of the second generation Dakota. Easily transports a lawn tractor. Solid build quality.

Suggested Improvements

For what I paid and it's intended use I have none to suggest. I'm surprised they're no longer in production, also the case with other manufacturer's smaller pickup trucks.

My truck
By Jo_jo69699

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I liked this truck before I even bought it. I would borrow it from my aunt all the time, it is spacious, very dependable, has a lot of power, fast, and has a lot of torque. I have taken this truck off road without any problems. Even the gas mileage is good, I average about 20-25 mpg, it has a v6 magnum in it, so I thought it was gonna be a gas hog. The only problem, I have had with the truck is the ac system, I can get it recharged and three days later it would need recharged again. This truck has never let me down and I have had it for 4 years.

Favorite Features

It is very comfortable to drive, i love the 4x4, it doesn't get used much but i try to use it when i can, the truck is 11 years old and it still runs like it just came off the lot

Suggested Improvements

Better ac system

Handy to have around
By Phil Briddell

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this for my daughter who always wanted a pickup. It has a teal color. It worked very well for her. She has moved to the city and a pickup is unnecessary, so I inherited it. I'm having trouble giving it up as it is handy to have around. Drives like a truck and gets the same kind of low mileage but that is what it is.

Favorite Features

Space for hauling anything I want. Did well with fully loaded U-Hauls although it took getting used to

Suggested Improvements

Would not change a thing.

All around good to go
By danny

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am very happy with my truck. As long as I take care of it, it seems to take care of me. The V-6 has the all the power I need and the size is perfect for just around the house needs. It is fun to drive and comfortable to drive. I have only had to do the best maintance work to it. It is the base model so it doesn't have all the features, but that's what the base model is. (basic) It is a great buy and I would buy again

Favorite Features

All good

Loving it!
By Scott

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have only owned the Dakota for a few months but those few have been awesome! The truck has not given me any problems and is a blast to drive. The V6 has given me plenty of power and the truck holds the road great. The only thing I would want to change is the gas mil1age... 11.5mpg for a V6 is horrible.

Favorite Features

Interior space. I love the 40/20/40 bench seat. Power. Smooth body lines.

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE!!! Better paint quality.