1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Just bought a '97 in 2013
By sstevek on 07/29/13 18:47 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

My model is actually a Sport 2WD 3.9 5 speed manual that I bought with about 102,500 miles. I get plenty of snow in my area, but the truck is for occasional use. I wanted a truck with a V6 and a manual transmission, something not easy to find. I think the V6 with the manual is a great combination - and a rare find. The regular cab is a little tight for me - but that's ok. I do enjoy driving the truck. It rides well, and the interior is solid. With the windows up it's quiet - there's not one rattle in the truck. My first fuel calculation, highway and around town was 18.8 mpg. Very satisfied with that. I feel good about this truck.

My truck
By Jo_jo69699 on 07/15/08 09:04 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I liked this truck before I even bought it. I would borrow it from my aunt all the time, it is spacious, very dependable, has a lot of power, fast, and has a lot of torque. I have taken this truck off road without any problems. Even the gas mileage is good, I average about 20-25 mpg, it has a v6 magnum in it, so I thought it was gonna be a gas hog. The only problem, I have had with the truck is the ac system, I can get it recharged and three days later it would need recharged again. This truck has never let me down and I have had it for 4 years.

Handy to have around
By Phil Briddell on 01/12/08 12:28 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this for my daughter who always wanted a pickup. It has a teal color. It worked very well for her. She has moved to the city and a pickup is unnecessary, so I inherited it. I'm having trouble giving it up as it is handy to have around. Drives like a truck and gets the same kind of low mileage but that is what it is.

All around good to go
By danny on 04/03/06 14:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am very happy with my truck. As long as I take care of it, it seems to take care of me. The V-6 has the all the power I need and the size is perfect for just around the house needs. It is fun to drive and comfortable to drive. I have only had to do the best maintance work to it. It is the base model so it doesn't have all the features, but that's what the base model is. (basic) It is a great buy and I would buy again

Loving it!
By Scott on 12/01/05 16:24 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have only owned the Dakota for a few months but those few have been awesome! The truck has not given me any problems and is a blast to drive. The V6 has given me plenty of power and the truck holds the road great. The only thing I would want to change is the gas mil1age... 11.5mpg for a V6 is horrible.

Best little truck
By Leonard McCarty on 11/15/05 22:20 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I got my Dakota when it had 27,000 miles. It now has 127,000 miles and, except for a few minor replacements, has run great. It handles smooth and corners solid. The doors still close with a "thud" and the ashtray light still comes on when you drop it down! I've always admired people who drove a Dakota, and now I know why. I have the 5 speed manual transmission and the clutch is still tight after all these miles. My friend has a Ranger, same year, and he's replaced his clutch twice now!

Great truck!
By BobG on 02/08/05 16:03 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This has been the best truck I've owned of three. The performance is wonderful, but at the price of gas, mileage isn't great (15 mpg). It rides like a car, and is both quiet and comfortable. I love this truck and I'll probably drive it till the wheels fall off!

Great truck!
By BobG on 02/08/05 16:03 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This has been the best truck I've owned of three. The performance is wonderful, but at the price of gas mileage (15 mpg) is not so hot. It rides like a car and is both quiet and comfortable. I love this truck and I'll probably drive it till the wheels fall off!

Probelms, problems, problems
By scott on 12/10/04 10:53 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

When I purchased this vehicle I really thought that it would be a winner. In the last year I have had one problem after another and have given up on it and traded it in. At the time I traded it in it has the following problems. No heat, no air conditioning, lifters knocking, transmission slipping, brakes. I will say I always changed oil every 3000 miles and had all other fluids changed every 20000 - 25000 miles. I figured that to make it correct it would cost well over $5000. I realize that brakes are an item that need reolacing from time to time but to only have 80000 miles on the vihicle and have so many expensive problems tells me that these vehicles have serious reliability issues.

think before you buy regular cab
By ems on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

it's been a good truck for the 6 months I've owned it. Beware of ball-joint issues in the 97-02 models... the 00-02 seem to be the worst, but mine needed all four ball joints before 100k... they aren't cheap either, total bill was $1500. The truck has plenty of power with the 318 (5.2) and the transmission has been smooth shifting... but the engine does have idle issues, make sure you start the truck COLD as that's when they tend to show up. Would I buy it again? Probably, but I'd get the club or quad cab!