Used 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Most Helpful|
Dodge, never again!
By Rosemountguy

1997 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This was my first new vehicle purchase and my last Chrysler product purchase. While the truck always got reasonable mileage and was comfortable to drive, it was a maintenance nightmare. I went through three power steering pumps, replaced the ball joints, fuel pump, cruise control, and had the rear rebuilt by 50000 miles. The truck also ate brakes every 15- 20thousand miles. I never owned a vehicle that was this hard on brakes, even my old Trans-Am which I drove hard. A am happy I never really used it as a heavy hauler as I am sure I would have gone through many more parts.

Favorite Features

Ride quality and interior comfort. The engine was also torquey for its size (3.9)

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliability. There is no reason why a truck should not go at least 100,000 miles without replaceing major parts due to failure.

Great Truck
By Richard

1997 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 200 miles on it and have loved putting every mile on it. This truck has never given me any problems. The only maintenance that I have ever done has been due to normal wear and tear. Replaced oil pump and water pump around 200,000 miles. I have taken this truck from SC to HI to WA and finally here to Va. I can't say enough how much I have enjoyed this truck. God has been so good to me with it. I would definitely buy another one as soon as I see fit to replace this one. Maybe at around 500,000 miles.

Favorite Features

I like looking at this truck. Whenever I walk up to it I praise the Lord that he has given me this beautiful vehicle. The interior is spacious and well appointed and very comfortable. It has more than enough power with the magnum V6 than I have ever needed and has no problem hauling firewood.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of any.

got to love dodge!
By schwarz drache

1997 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Me being a dodge fan I have always wanted a truck like this and now that I have I couldn't be happier. I love my truck, when i'm driving it I feel like i'm on top of the world. I couldn't possibly ask for more in a truck!

Favorite Features

I love it's handling, I still have to have it lose traction in a turn.

Dakota keeps up with BIG BOYS
By tsrtrek

1997 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great design and layout but with POOR MPG and a weak transmission. Have had no major problems just ball joints and new paint.

Favorite Features

Interior room

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG and transmission

Dodge Dakota
By KenR

1997 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had my Dodge Dakota in the shop numerous times and nine of those times where for design flaws. I have only been able to receive compensation on one items, the misalaignment of the front end at time if manufacture.

Favorite Features

Comfort and styling are very nice.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, Brakes and again, Brakes. I have had to replace the brakes six times in 80k miles and the rotors at 30k. Also the fuel line was designed with little protection and rubbed a whole against the body over time. Catalytic converter went out twice. O2 sensor went out at 60K.