Used 1997 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Great 97 Dakota
By Jeff

1997 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

318 5.2 auto 192,000 miles. Purchased it last summer from a 1 owner, always garaged and well taken care of. Usual rust areas esp in northeast to be expected....bottom of the pass side door, and had the rear spring shackles replaced. Hasnt failed me yet...a/c doesnt work the best, to be expected on a 13 y/o vehicle. Not the best on gas, 13.3 - 18.5 on aggressive tread 31's....wish I had a 5spd for better gas milage. Other than the a/c, everything else works great. Needed to replace the steering shaft. My second Dakota...feel they are built well and Id buy another.

Design...looks awesome.

Better mileage

nice 97
By Rocky

1997 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has only 72,000 miles, on it just now have replaced, the original brakes.The truck has been used to trailer heavy construction equipment, the V-8 runs great gets 19 to 20 on highway. Just put the 2nd set of tires on it, front end wears tires with out uneven wear. There is no vibration in front at all.Have used 4wd very often on muddy constructions sites. The only problem the cheap plastic gear shift handle broke loose.I have always run premium gas in the v-8 and it makes a whole lot of difference over regular gas. Over all Very happy with truck.

Great Truck
By Richard

1997 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 200 miles on it and have loved putting every mile on it. This truck has never given me any problems. The only maintenance that I have ever done has been due to normal wear and tear. Replaced oil pump and water pump around 200,000 miles. I have taken this truck from SC to HI to WA and finally here to Va. I can't say enough how much I have enjoyed this truck. God has been so good to me with it. I would definitely buy another one as soon as I see fit to replace this one. Maybe at around 500,000 miles.

I like looking at this truck. Whenever I walk up to it I praise the Lord that he has given me this beautiful vehicle. The interior is spacious and well appointed and very comfortable. It has more than enough power with the magnum V6 than I have ever needed and has no problem hauling firewood.

I can't think of any.

I don't want him (J-P) to leave me!!!
By Gina

1997 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is the best pick-up truck i had so far...he went through a lot!! Someone stole it, wreck it, smashed the windows, radio stolen...he is still alive and run as good as the first day. He is now 400 000km and i have to spend a little this month to fix transfer case, wipers...the mechanic told me it was worth it to keep it in good shape.

There is no qwuik qwuik sound...very quiet. Comfortable, i feel safe. Lots of space. I like the interior design, looks younger than 12 years old!

The radio system never worked well (speakers) and AC (but i don't use that anyway)...

Terrible
By Rp

1997 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought it with 90k miles. Within two months it needed a new motor and a new transmission. It has numerous other defective parts since then - horn does not work, cruise control does not work, alarm is set off when unlocking the door with the key, a/c does not work, speakers broke, heat does not work on passenger side, air vents shut off at random. It has had numerous sets of brakes because it cannot stop well at all. Design flaws - any owner will tell you they have replaced all the tie rods and ball joints at least once, if you have a V8 model say good bye to good fuel economy (11 mpg highway at 65mph), terrible interior with no back doors, 4WD with no locking differential?

None really. I would say it looks good but its a rust bucket. I would say (as the other reviews say) that it has good performance (V8 and 4WD) but not really - all that power with open differentials means you barely get traction on dry asphalt let alone snow and the transmission is from the Caravan.

It's not possible to improve, it's a lemon hands down. It has many dangerous recalls and has been in the news plenty of times. Also it made Consumer Report's 1997-2004 "Worst of The Worst" list. Even the cup holders do not work and the interior was actually redesigned two years after the 97 model.