Used 1997 Dodge Dakota Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Reliable
By MW Maker

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the Dakota new back in 1997. I now have almost 150k miles with nothing but standard maintenance required. I have had a problem with the speakers since I bought it and the dealership could never figure it out. Other than this one issue the truck has served me well over the past decade.

Never Again
By Phillie

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Never again will I purchase a Dodge product after this truck. I had the truck in the shop more in the first two years that my other vehicle has been in the ten years I have owned it. Not only does the truck lack quality, but the service at the Raymond Dodge Service Center is horrible. Talk about unfriendly people.

I do like the way the trucks exterior looks.

1997 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab
By Hurley

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Have had only one problem - catalytic converter went out before 100K mile warranty. Timing belt (or chain) has always made a slight clicking noise, but has never hindered the operation of the truck. Absolutely love this truck; in my opinion, have had no big problems, not even small ones like a headlight or tail light going out.

Body style - Dodge has it licked. Very comfortable interior, except full sized adult in back seat. Not a true compact truck - very roomy inside as well as bed.

With the new Quad Cab model, my only suggestion is taken care of - more room in the back seat.

Dakota is a great truck
By Scotar

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

V8 is a necessity, a lot of power with it. Interior is very comfortable. Ride and handling are very good with new tires, just good with worn tires. This vehicle is terrible in 2 wheel drive on snow and rain for accler. Fuel economy is the worst for this size truck. I avg 13 mpg and nothing is wrong with the truck. Infinity stereo sounds pretty good as stock. After 30K miles I have not had a single problem. I have had 1700 lbs in the bed several times with no problem.

Power, comfort, and dependability