Used 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

1997 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Just bought a '97 in 2013
By sstevek

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

My model is actually a Sport 2WD 3.9 5 speed manual that I bought with about 102,500 miles. I get plenty of snow in my area, but the truck is for occasional use. I wanted a truck with a V6 and a manual transmission, something not easy to find. I think the V6 with the manual is a great combination - and a rare find. The regular cab is a little tight for me - but that's ok. I do enjoy driving the truck. It rides well, and the interior is solid. With the windows up it's quiet - there's not one rattle in the truck. My first fuel calculation, highway and around town was 18.8 mpg. Very satisfied with that. I feel good about this truck.

Favorite Features

V6, manual transmission. The V6 sounds good and has ample power. Good size, not many true mid-size trucks available. Fuel economy - styling of the second generation Dakota. Easily transports a lawn tractor. Solid build quality.

Suggested Improvements

For what I paid and it's intended use I have none to suggest. I'm surprised they're no longer in production, also the case with other manufacturer's smaller pickup trucks.

ok truck
By allez

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

i'd like the eng. 5.2 v8, but it fuel economy its horroble , also i had tho replace the water pump twice already, its a good, fun truck to have

Favorite Features

v8 5.2 eng.

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy and reliability