Used 1997 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Just bought a '97 in 2013
By sstevek

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

My model is actually a Sport 2WD 3.9 5 speed manual that I bought with about 102,500 miles. I get plenty of snow in my area, but the truck is for occasional use. I wanted a truck with a V6 and a manual transmission, something not easy to find. I think the V6 with the manual is a great combination - and a rare find. The regular cab is a little tight for me - but that's ok. I do enjoy driving the truck. It rides well, and the interior is solid. With the windows up it's quiet - there's not one rattle in the truck. My first fuel calculation, highway and around town was 18.8 mpg. Very satisfied with that. I feel good about this truck.

V6, manual transmission. The V6 sounds good and has ample power. Good size, not many true mid-size trucks available. Fuel economy - styling of the second generation Dakota. Easily transports a lawn tractor. Solid build quality.

For what I paid and it's intended use I have none to suggest. I'm surprised they're no longer in production, also the case with other manufacturer's smaller pickup trucks.

Great 97 Dakota
By Jeff

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

318 5.2 auto 192,000 miles. Purchased it last summer from a 1 owner, always garaged and well taken care of. Usual rust areas esp in northeast to be expected....bottom of the pass side door, and had the rear spring shackles replaced. Hasnt failed me yet...a/c doesnt work the best, to be expected on a 13 y/o vehicle. Not the best on gas, 13.3 - 18.5 on aggressive tread 31's....wish I had a 5spd for better gas milage. Other than the a/c, everything else works great. Needed to replace the steering shaft. My second Dakota...feel they are built well and Id buy another.

Design...looks awesome.

Better mileage

nice 97
By Rocky

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has only 72,000 miles, on it just now have replaced, the original brakes.The truck has been used to trailer heavy construction equipment, the V-8 runs great gets 19 to 20 on highway. Just put the 2nd set of tires on it, front end wears tires with out uneven wear. There is no vibration in front at all.Have used 4wd very often on muddy constructions sites. The only problem the cheap plastic gear shift handle broke loose.I have always run premium gas in the v-8 and it makes a whole lot of difference over regular gas. Over all Very happy with truck.

Great Truck
By Richard

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 200 miles on it and have loved putting every mile on it. This truck has never given me any problems. The only maintenance that I have ever done has been due to normal wear and tear. Replaced oil pump and water pump around 200,000 miles. I have taken this truck from SC to HI to WA and finally here to Va. I can't say enough how much I have enjoyed this truck. God has been so good to me with it. I would definitely buy another one as soon as I see fit to replace this one. Maybe at around 500,000 miles.

I like looking at this truck. Whenever I walk up to it I praise the Lord that he has given me this beautiful vehicle. The interior is spacious and well appointed and very comfortable. It has more than enough power with the magnum V6 than I have ever needed and has no problem hauling firewood.

I can't think of any.

I don't want him (J-P) to leave me!!!
By Gina

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is the best pick-up truck i had so far...he went through a lot!! Someone stole it, wreck it, smashed the windows, radio stolen...he is still alive and run as good as the first day. He is now 400 000km and i have to spend a little this month to fix transfer case, wipers...the mechanic told me it was worth it to keep it in good shape.

There is no qwuik qwuik sound...very quiet. Comfortable, i feel safe. Lots of space. I like the interior design, looks younger than 12 years old!

The radio system never worked well (speakers) and AC (but i don't use that anyway)...