1996 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
This truck rocks
By sydbarrett1970 on 02/27/07 22:35 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had my '96 sport 2.5 4 cyl. for 4 years now, bought it when it had 103,000 miles on it, one previous owner, and let me you, this truck is seriously well built. Dodge apparantly used an engine that was unique to all the other Dakotas of the period, (at least for the 4 cyl model), a motor designed for Jeep, it was originally designed by a collaboration of engine makers, (Renault, Chrysler, and maybe a third party?) Anyway, anyone I have ever talked to says the same...this truck is really built to last. One person I spoke with said he sold his when it had 300,000 on it and it still ran strong. I absolutely love mine.

Never let you down.
By broadripple1 on 08/28/06 14:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck on Ebay, and thought I got stuck with a lemon. The gas guage does not work, but on everything else, my initial impression was flat wrong. This vehicle is a low maintenance winner. It hauls everything (bricks, lawn tractor, boards, etc), including long distance, and other than the normal maintenance, I have not spent an extra dime on this truck in four years of ownership. It's simple to operate, and I'll keep it forever.

10 years and still kicking
By John on 03/05/06 18:35 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this truck since new and will not be getting rid of it any time soon. The 1996 Dakota is a true mid size with all the guts of a full size. The v6 I have pulls and hauls as well as any small 8, and wile fuel milage around town is not great (who buys a truck for fuel mileage?) open road mileage is in the 20 mpg range. Over all I am very happy with my '96, both in performance and style. Just try to find a truck with chrome on both ends these days.

Reliable
By Reggie on 01/25/06 22:36 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my Dakota new in 1996, has 140,000 on it and still going strong. Uses no oil to speak of and has not given me any problems other then the poor quality interior. Comfort is great considering I'm 6'6". Gas milage could be better, could use a split heat defrost option. Exterior is holding up to Maine winter very well considering the truck was purchased in Arizona. Does very well in the snow for a 2wd, I use a 70 lb sand bag in the bed and good all season tires, so far no problems. Probably the best vehicle I have ever owned.

My Baby
By Greg Svatora on 12/04/05 22:17 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Purchased truck in high school, drove through college, now married and still running. Truck is amazing in all weather. Only minor problems over 110,000 miles, including the standard crap Dodge transmission. I mostly drive unloaded but tow cars probably 1500-2000 miles/yr and it works great. Can't wait to get some money to put some performance stuff in her. I get great mileage, 20 mpg with the 5.2L on straight highway miles, 16-17 on normal driving. Little tip...Firestone Destination LE tires are amazing on this truck.

Great truck!
By Dave on 08/28/05 23:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had my '96 Dakota for 8 years, and it still looks and runs great with 98,000 miles on it. I've replaced the water pump and the A/C system (I live in Florida), and I've made cosmetic repairs to the interior. The 4 cyl. engine does not burn or leak oil, and the 5-speed transmission shifts smoothly and is fun to drive. The original factory white paint still looks great. I drive it almost every day, and it is still excellent transportation. With the tough plastic bed liner, this is a VERY rugged and dependable truck!

Excellent Choice
By Dallas on 07/29/05 13:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Dakota with 182,000 miles on it. The exterior was in great condition and it was a steal at $1,900. I lived in Maine for two years through the rough winters and my abusive driving. The truck really kept itself together. I did minor repairs and spent roughly $400 dollars on it, but never had to do repairs on the engine. I sold it to a friend for $1,100 dollars and I just talked to him recently. Its still going strong with 265,000 original miles! All he's done is oil changes. I had the best times of my life in that old truck and I'm searching everywhere to find another one. 2wd 3.9 v6 magnum 5 speed sports are fun and dependable. I wont buy another Ford again.

1996 Dodge Dakota
By Bob on 03/15/05 22:54 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a very reliable pickup. it has the most room of any truck in its class. it takes the corners very well and handles great. my first road trip with it (600 miles) rendered me 27 miles to the gallon which was pretty good at 75 mph going up and down hills!!!

Dakota was great
By S on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My Dakota was always a good truck

Lov'n it!
By penelope on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

From the 1st Dakota I owned, a totaled 1993 slt ext cab completely rebuilt salvage, to a perfect 94, to my current perfect 96 model. The center of gravity makes handling easy & safe. The ride is much stronger than a s-10 or ford ranger. I luv this truck it's safety, ride, looks, & dependability even into 200,000 ml. Gas economy is better in the 94 but still @ 20mpg. Anyone who wants to own one, buy w/as low mls, & limited transferred ownership as possible. Mine pulls a horse trlr, pop-up camper & small sailboat. It is low to the ground & easy for me to get in and out of. Stay w/ v6, v8, and 4x4 models, no sport.