Used 1996 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Unstoppable
By kile95

1996 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

My dad bought this truck for 500$ in 2004. He daily drove it everyday to Orlando and back loading it with miles. When I got my liscence in 2011 he gave it to me. By the time he gave it to me the truck had 380k miles on it. 380k!!. I daily drove it to school and back until April 2013. When I got rid of it, it had 420k miles on and still going strong. Oh and the whole time me and my dad owned it the only things we did to it was change a clutch and a throttle positioning sensor!! We took great care of the truck though. Oil change every 3k miles. But I gave the truck to my uncle and its his daily driver to this day. He just drove it to Michigan and back twice. Starts right up 1st time every time

This is the 6th dodge truck ive owned
By javelin

1996 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck 3 months ago for $2500.00 and its the best $2500.00 I've ever spent.Truck has 180,000 and runs like a champ.The 6th dodge I've owned and as you can see it will always be this way. Dodge Dakota best truck on the road.

All in all, a great deal at $8900
By Darren

1996 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this truck in 98 for $8900. Paid off in 4 yrs and drove maintenance free (virtually) for another 6 years. Replaced the fuel pump at 100k miles. Replaced engine computer just after that. Engine light still comes on but dealership cannot figure out why. Truck runs great. Air still cold and it always cranks. Needs paint now but I'm debating whether to put anymore money in it. May use it for Cash for Clunkers bill just signed. Best car purchase I've ever made. not sure how to get it to pass inspection now that check engine light keeps coming on but have a few months to figure that out.

Favorite Features

Reliability, no question. For the money, you cannot beat this truck. V6 is strong - has always pulled whatever I have wanted. Two scoops of mulch barely slows it down.

Suggested Improvements

Sure does ride rough when compared with other trucks in it's class.

the best first truck
By james tucker

1996 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I enjoyed my dodge Dakota truck and driving it where every I need to go. It has been dedicated to me and my family for 12 years. I want to restore it back to first look and more. Thank dodge for making a great truck.

Favorite Features

The output of the motor

Suggested Improvements

interior need sum improvement

Amazing after 12 Years
By brasky98

1996 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Received this truck after wrapping a Toyota around a telephone pole... This truck is amazing with its reliability. Turn the key and it starts right up. Gets me to work 5 days a week and hauls drywall, mulch or gravel the other 2. The worst I have had to do is complete brakes 3 years ago. Engine is strong, tranny tight, gets me where I need to be. Only dings, dents or rust is what I've caused. I'll drive this baby until the wheels fall of. Probably will subsidize her with a new sedan here in a month or two but its about time. 12 years and still running strong!

Favorite Features

Reliability, Payload, did I mention the reliability? Cost of ownership is negligible at worst...

Suggested Improvements

Headliner failed, cup holders can be a kneebanger (if that's the worst, who cares..)