1996 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Good truck for the $
By jkf on 02/24/10 14:15 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

All things considered not a bad truck in a 140k miles. Bought used with 30k miles and 2k later transmission went and was repaired under waranty - no problems since. Have the 5.2l V8 with positraction. Used the truck for hauling a 4500lb boat just about every good weather weekend and commuting to work. Replaced dist pickup at 65k and 120K, O2 sensor at 120k due to a "21"error code, and blower resistor at 110k. Aside from normal wear items such as tires, brakes, plugs, fan belt, radiator hoses etc. no other problems - very reliable. Been using Mobil 1 at 7.5k oil changes and does not leak a drop of engine or tranny oil. As with all these dakotas, the headliner fails, and fuel gauge is whacky.

Significantly better than I expected.
By Jack on 03/10/09 16:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I got this truck for utility functions in addition to going to work and back. The engine purrs like a kitten, which truly amazes me. The tranny (auto) is a little slow to shift in extreme cold, but warm her up and she does just like you'd want. I replaced the brakes in their entirety and all 4 shocks (Rancho). It handles like new... and I got it at a great price. The heat is a little weak when it gets cold, but otherwise, you will have a hard time finding such a wonderful truck at such a great price. I'd drive this thing over a same aged Toyota any day. The engine sounds just like new and I have 113,000 miles on it. It has minor leaks, but, not enough to require servicing between maintenance

Great Truck
By laxman84 on 01/31/09 19:37 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Awesome truck. Got it for an extremely low price five years ago. Has lasted 13 years of Wisconsin winters and only has a bit of rust under the passenger side door, which is quite an accomplishment. Made it to Colorado and back, and almost kept up with the Wranglers on the Jeep trails. Starts every time I need it to, no matter the temperature. Two weeks ago, -17, -15, -27, -2, and -19, and it started each morning. Little things have been going wrong, 4X4 light doesn't come on (but 4X4 stills works), cigarette lighter is busted, parking brake cable needs a replacement, and AC is out, but that is to be expected with a old truck. All in all, my next vehicle will be a Dakota

Best truck ever made
By BlAcK wIdOw on 11/05/08 09:30 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

My father bought this truck in 2002, my uncle got it after he died, and I recieved it almost 2 years ago. This truck has been put through its paces. It was an escort truck, hauling truck, towing people, wrecked twice (haven't had the money to fix it yet), it has 200,000 on her and still going strong. The only things replaced is the regular maintanance. Other than the headlight which happens to be a tin can since that area is caved in. The most durable and reliable truck ever.

DODGE Dakota
By Ford lover on 06/12/08 22:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Owned the truck 6 months, first dodge I ever bought. My dad talked me into buying it. I learned 2 things from this truck. 1. I will never buy a dodge and 2. when the check engine light comes on, it's junk. Get rid of it. I have put more money into this truck than i did my 300.00 1988 ranger that has 300,000 Miles. I really do hate this truck.

10 years and still kicking
By John on 03/05/06 18:35 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this truck since new and will not be getting rid of it any time soon. The 1996 Dakota is a true mid size with all the guts of a full size. The v6 I have pulls and hauls as well as any small 8, and wile fuel milage around town is not great (who buys a truck for fuel mileage?) open road mileage is in the 20 mpg range. Over all I am very happy with my '96, both in performance and style. Just try to find a truck with chrome on both ends these days.

Reliable
By Reggie on 01/25/06 22:36 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my Dakota new in 1996, has 140,000 on it and still going strong. Uses no oil to speak of and has not given me any problems other then the poor quality interior. Comfort is great considering I'm 6'6". Gas milage could be better, could use a split heat defrost option. Exterior is holding up to Maine winter very well considering the truck was purchased in Arizona. Does very well in the snow for a 2wd, I use a 70 lb sand bag in the bed and good all season tires, so far no problems. Probably the best vehicle I have ever owned.

My Baby
By Greg Svatora on 12/04/05 22:17 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Purchased truck in high school, drove through college, now married and still running. Truck is amazing in all weather. Only minor problems over 110,000 miles, including the standard crap Dodge transmission. I mostly drive unloaded but tow cars probably 1500-2000 miles/yr and it works great. Can't wait to get some money to put some performance stuff in her. I get great mileage, 20 mpg with the 5.2L on straight highway miles, 16-17 on normal driving. Little tip...Firestone Destination LE tires are amazing on this truck.

1996 Dodge Dakota
By Bob on 03/15/05 22:54 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a very reliable pickup. it has the most room of any truck in its class. it takes the corners very well and handles great. my first road trip with it (600 miles) rendered me 27 miles to the gallon which was pretty good at 75 mph going up and down hills!!!

Dakota was great
By S on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My Dakota was always a good truck