1996 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Good truck for the $
By jkf on 02/24/10 14:15 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

All things considered not a bad truck in a 140k miles. Bought used with 30k miles and 2k later transmission went and was repaired under waranty - no problems since. Have the 5.2l V8 with positraction. Used the truck for hauling a 4500lb boat just about every good weather weekend and commuting to work. Replaced dist pickup at 65k and 120K, O2 sensor at 120k due to a "21"error code, and blower resistor at 110k. Aside from normal wear items such as tires, brakes, plugs, fan belt, radiator hoses etc. no other problems - very reliable. Been using Mobil 1 at 7.5k oil changes and does not leak a drop of engine or tranny oil. As with all these dakotas, the headliner fails, and fuel gauge is whacky.

Significantly better than I expected.
By Jack on 03/10/09 16:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I got this truck for utility functions in addition to going to work and back. The engine purrs like a kitten, which truly amazes me. The tranny (auto) is a little slow to shift in extreme cold, but warm her up and she does just like you'd want. I replaced the brakes in their entirety and all 4 shocks (Rancho). It handles like new... and I got it at a great price. The heat is a little weak when it gets cold, but otherwise, you will have a hard time finding such a wonderful truck at such a great price. I'd drive this thing over a same aged Toyota any day. The engine sounds just like new and I have 113,000 miles on it. It has minor leaks, but, not enough to require servicing between maintenance

Best truck ever made
By BlAcK wIdOw on 11/05/08 09:30 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

My father bought this truck in 2002, my uncle got it after he died, and I recieved it almost 2 years ago. This truck has been put through its paces. It was an escort truck, hauling truck, towing people, wrecked twice (haven't had the money to fix it yet), it has 200,000 on her and still going strong. The only things replaced is the regular maintanance. Other than the headlight which happens to be a tin can since that area is caved in. The most durable and reliable truck ever.

My Baby
By Greg Svatora on 12/04/05 22:17 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Purchased truck in high school, drove through college, now married and still running. Truck is amazing in all weather. Only minor problems over 110,000 miles, including the standard crap Dodge transmission. I mostly drive unloaded but tow cars probably 1500-2000 miles/yr and it works great. Can't wait to get some money to put some performance stuff in her. I get great mileage, 20 mpg with the 5.2L on straight highway miles, 16-17 on normal driving. Little tip...Firestone Destination LE tires are amazing on this truck.

1996 Dodge Dakota
By Bob on 03/15/05 22:54 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a very reliable pickup. it has the most room of any truck in its class. it takes the corners very well and handles great. my first road trip with it (600 miles) rendered me 27 miles to the gallon which was pretty good at 75 mph going up and down hills!!!

wish i opted for the extended warrenty
By joshua on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

i own a 96 dakota club cab slt with 3.9l v6 auto 90k miles.reliability is its biggest shortcomming.the transmission went out at 30k fixed under warenty,and has never really shifted smoothly.other problems include the a.c.,water pump leak,plenium gasket leak, alternator, dash lights,fuel gage. the v6 feels underpowered i would recommend the v8. on the plus side it is larger then it competitors, and averages a respectable 16mpg in mixed driving.

wish i opted for extended warenty
By joshua dunton on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

i have a 96 dakota slt club cab v6 with 90k miles.it has had many problems transmision,ac,plebium gasket leak,water pump,alternator,fuel gage not accurate,dash lights to name a few. i like the looks of the truck,and over all comfort is good.i like the engines choices,better than competion.v6 needs more power.i average 16mpg mixed driving. and slightly bigger than competion. inteior is outdated,next generation got much improved in this area.overall i would not recommend this truck do to poor reliability problems, but i may have owned a lemmon. just my two cense take it for what its worth.

#1 Truck
By Kris Lewis on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Plain and simple, dependable, fun, a workhorse V6.

My Dakota
By rtt3 on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought a '96 dakota ext. cab and it has done wonders. i can alway rely on it to get me to my destination. It has 117,000 miles and is still running strong. When others fail, this one comes out on top.