Used 1995 Dodge Dakota SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

1995 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

1995 Dakota SLT Automatic with OD 3.9
By stlramsfan

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I got this truck about three weeks ago and I think it all ready deserve's a good review. I got this truck from a friend of my grandpa, his grandson had busted out the cab glass and passenger side window, so he decided that he would give it to me for free questioning if it still runs. It had sat for two years, so I pulled it home, hooked up a battery not expecting anything but trouble and to my surprise with two year old gas it fired right up. I've now drove it about 700 miles, and can say there are no problems with 189,000 miles on it. I can say it gets about 20 in town 25+ on the highway, I have either 323/355 gears the owners manual didn't give the exact gears but it has plenty of power.

Favorite Features

I like the power, like I said I have 323/355 gear ratio, I like how smoothly the transmission shifts out with 189,000 miles, tires are cheap, cost to repair anything on these old dodges are cheap, for an Example I owned a 1987 Bought a good starter for 55 dollars, a radiator for 125, the 87 was hard to work on but in this 1995 there appears to be much more space to work on any problem everything is spaced apart so working on it shouldn't be a problem. The seating is nice and comfortable I'm 18 and 5,10 150 lbs, but my dad is 6,4 280 and said he had plenty of leg room, The SLT model has cruise power mirrors and power windows which from what I've heard don't have problems.

Suggested Improvements

Well as far as Improvements I think dodge made a mistake making the 4X4 V6 dakota with a 383 gear ratio "Which I don't have" I knew someone with the 383 gears and he said it had no power bad fuel economy and destroyed transmission "He went through 3" Other than that though I have drove a lot of trucks Chevy GMC Ford, toyota, and I can say Dakota's from 1985-1997 are gem's dodge has a bad reputation because of there newer model trucks and I can say I wouldn't drive a new one, but I'll take advantage of first, second, and third generation dodge trucks any day, I've owned three of these trucks one first gen, one second, gen and now one third, and they all run well.

Love This Truck
By Sailorboy3309

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I got this truck from my grandmother after my grandfather passed away. I used it for 2 years then put it in the back yard when I bought my 02 Ford Focus. I never had a problem with the truck but had constant problems with the car. I joined the navy a year ago and sold the car because I wouldn't need it. I just got back home and went to my grandmothers house and saw my old truck back there and offered to buy it again from her because it was so great. I only have to replace a battery and after all the years it hasn't been run I started it up and she runs great. I also had a flowmaster exhaust put on her and boy does she purrrr. I love this thing.

Favorite Features

The fact that this thing is a tank and runs forever. It is also a smooth ride and decent on gas.

Suggested Improvements

NONE!!!!!

Second time around
By Superdj

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck from a co-worker who had it brand new from the dealer. I had a 1988 LE and loved it except for the lousy leg room. With the extended cab, I am comfortable and secure in it at all times. the V6 has all the power i need and then some!

Favorite Features

I like the extended cab for the leg room and room for my grandsons to sit behind me in comfort, as well as the stow and go compartments to hide things

Suggested Improvements

It needs a paint job bad, as someone egged it and ruined the paint. The rear bumper seems to rust out really quickly, like my 88 did, but overall, it's a Dodge!

Gonna miss my Dodge
By Loved My Truck

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This was a great truck. I bought it with 65,000 miles on it from a private owner here in Michigan and it may have been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Finally, at 152,000 miles, the repair to the main oil seal and other small stuff it needs are too much for the value of the truck. Time to put her out to pasture.

Favorite Features

Radio system, power accessories, and storage under the rear seats.

Great Truck!
By zclary923

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I absolutely wish I would have just fixed the minor mechanical issues on my 95 instead of trading it for my 06 which was an expensive rip off compared to my 95. My Dakota had the 3.9L v6 which is by no means a powerful motor but it ran well and it proved reliable. The exterior styling and overall build quality of the 1995 Dakota and the 1992-1996 Dakotas in general to me is better than any of the newer iterations of the Dakota. The interior was plush with options for a 1995, and it actually had a good amount of storage space in it unlike my 2006 which is probably the most useless ext cab ever built. The 1995 Dakota is a good truck, I highly recommend if you are looking for a used truck.

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, interior comfort and design, interior storage space.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power and refinement out of the 3.9l, better brakes. Other than that nothing else.