Used 1995 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

1995 Dakota SLT Automatic with OD 3.9
By stlramsfan

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I got this truck about three weeks ago and I think it all ready deserve's a good review. I got this truck from a friend of my grandpa, his grandson had busted out the cab glass and passenger side window, so he decided that he would give it to me for free questioning if it still runs. It had sat for two years, so I pulled it home, hooked up a battery not expecting anything but trouble and to my surprise with two year old gas it fired right up. I've now drove it about 700 miles, and can say there are no problems with 189,000 miles on it. I can say it gets about 20 in town 25+ on the highway, I have either 323/355 gears the owners manual didn't give the exact gears but it has plenty of power.

I like the power, like I said I have 323/355 gear ratio, I like how smoothly the transmission shifts out with 189,000 miles, tires are cheap, cost to repair anything on these old dodges are cheap, for an Example I owned a 1987 Bought a good starter for 55 dollars, a radiator for 125, the 87 was hard to work on but in this 1995 there appears to be much more space to work on any problem everything is spaced apart so working on it shouldn't be a problem. The seating is nice and comfortable I'm 18 and 5,10 150 lbs, but my dad is 6,4 280 and said he had plenty of leg room, The SLT model has cruise power mirrors and power windows which from what I've heard don't have problems.

Well as far as Improvements I think dodge made a mistake making the 4X4 V6 dakota with a 383 gear ratio "Which I don't have" I knew someone with the 383 gears and he said it had no power bad fuel economy and destroyed transmission "He went through 3" Other than that though I have drove a lot of trucks Chevy GMC Ford, toyota, and I can say Dakota's from 1985-1997 are gem's dodge has a bad reputation because of there newer model trucks and I can say I wouldn't drive a new one, but I'll take advantage of first, second, and third generation dodge trucks any day, I've owned three of these trucks one first gen, one second, gen and now one third, and they all run well.

cool little truck
By elrandito

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

WOW! what a cool little truck. 5.2 ltr. motor has all kinds of power. easy to drive and a whole lot of fun.Eats 5.0ltr mustangs for lunch and camaros for dinner. abs bad in snow. tends to slide a little also. Very reliable. have replaced water pump and serpantine belt. working on this truck is a breeze.no confinements. highly recommend this truck. you wont regret it.

v-8 power good looks fun to drive easy to work on

no leg room in standard cab abs system needs help

'95 Dakota SLT
By John W

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Fun to drive, does everything asked, and beats those hemi Dodges at the lights! Hauls boat with no problem and is excellent at boat launch-easy to maneuver and great traction coming out of the water.

Easy to use 4 wheel dr and seems to go anywhere. Comfortable driving position and handles GREAT on high speed highways! Mileage is good on mine, 14-17 mpg depending on conditions and use of 4 wheel drive.

Left-hand mirror blocks view when making turns and has "blind spot" immediately along side of bed.

Love This Truck
By Sailorboy3309

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I got this truck from my grandmother after my grandfather passed away. I used it for 2 years then put it in the back yard when I bought my 02 Ford Focus. I never had a problem with the truck but had constant problems with the car. I joined the navy a year ago and sold the car because I wouldn't need it. I just got back home and went to my grandmothers house and saw my old truck back there and offered to buy it again from her because it was so great. I only have to replace a battery and after all the years it hasn't been run I started it up and she runs great. I also had a flowmaster exhaust put on her and boy does she purrrr. I love this thing.

The fact that this thing is a tank and runs forever. It is also a smooth ride and decent on gas.

NONE!!!!!

Great Truck
By Gavin

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I loved this truck from day one. I need to write a review now that I had to get a diffrent one. My family grew. Where can you find a truck that gets 18-19mpg at 85mph & get 17.5mpg pulling 1500lbs and I've put about 1700Ibs in the bed and still have alot of power if the ac is on? This Dakota you'll find it.The 318 I think is was ahead of it's time. It is one my favorite motors I have ever had. The 5 speed manual is great as well. This truck handles just great. It went up against every task I asked of it and never broke down. It was very compfortable as well. I rode in a Galant and when I got back in my truck it was like sitting on the couch again. I truly loved this truck.

318 motor, 5 speed, 4x4, compfort, payload. Sweet truck

The only complaint I had was in the snow the ABS wasn't very good. That was it.